Trans slip/dealer woes

Since my truck was about 3,000 miles new, it has had a trans slip from 3-4. I have called the dealer numerous times, and they always ask "is there a code". No there is no code but i know what a slip is, and i can watch the tach go up about 5-800 rpm before the shift happens. Now this is an intermittent problem, once every 5,000 miles. I now have 34,000 miles on it and its happening more, i got the BB tune at with 10,000 miles on the truck, and that took care of it, but it has showed back up at about 25,000 miles. What got me nervous was when i was towing my travel trailer last week (7,800 GCVW) it slipped twice on a 30 mile drive flat ground no hills. I again called the dealer and again they asked about a code. This is were the story gets good, my wife's '05 Tahoe has the same slip but hers is from a stop. Called the same dealership 2 months ago and told them, wouldn't you know they wanted me to bring it in for a service and pay them to do this service, because it will fix it. They told me it is probably sticking valves so i need to change the fluid. So I just got off the phone with them and they said there is nothing they can do without a code but they will "look at it". What am i supposed to do about this? I really don't want it to grenade when i go camping in 2 weeks to the mountains. Any help about this would be greatly appreciated.

My 09 slipped going from 1st to 2nd. I removed the BB Tune and called the dealer. Took it down to them, and they said it went into some kind of "limp" mode. They cleared that, and checked the fluid, but didn't do anything else. I got it back and it was better, but still slipping. Needless to say it went packing. Have you tried taking it to another dealer?

I haven't talked to another dealer yet but we will see what happens tomorrow when i talk to the dealer. I wish i could send it packing, but i figured it out to were i would loose like 5 g's so im not wanting to throw away that much yet lol, plus my next truck is going to be a diesel which i can't afford right now. I took the BB tune off tonight and it did 2 very subtle slips on the way to the dealer, so we will see what they find tomorrow.

Just curious what does a slip feel like, when you say 3/4 or1/2 you mean it skips a gear and slams into the next?

he means the 3 to 4 shift or the 1-2 shift ,

nothing slams if a gear is missed ,,it cant happen anyways

a slip is before the next gear is solid ,it slides down into the gear or up and then down into gear depending on throttle input

It wasn't resolved, but they did actually try. They test drove my truck for 40 miles so i was happy they spent the time to try and duplicate it. At this point ill wait till it does it more often or it grenades, hopefully neither will happen.

It wasn't resolved, but they did actually try. They test drove my truck for 40 miles so i was happy they spent the time to try and duplicate it. At this point ill wait till it does it more often or it grenades, hopefully neither will happen.

Sorry to hear that man that really sucks. I was there with my 09, and would have liked to kept it, but with the trans, all the little things that went wrong with it, and the annoying AFM I wasn't dealing with it. I hope you figure something out with yours.

Yea it is annoying, but i do love everything else about the truck. So we shall see what happens with it. It could last 150,000 mile like this or grenade next week, i don't think it will grenade anytime soon seeing as it isn't a real bad slip, just trying to get it fixed before it happens.

You could always have someone rebuild it, and make it stronger if you were planning on keeping your truck for a long time. It wouldn't be cheap, but you wouldn't have to worry about it for a long time.

My 2010 Sierra Denali does something kinda of similar, but it will rev all the way to 5000 rpm if I let it. Always random and usually when throttle input is light (i have the 6.2 so I keep my foot out of it). Took it to dealer to, it repeated, they cleared some settings on the trans....lasted a day then back again. I really think it is less of a Hardware thing then the algorithm they use to learn and control shifting.. Gonna try 1 more dealer.....but not what i hoped from a $56k stickered truck w/13000 miles. Thank god i did not pay that much.

From what i was told they cannot do anything because they have to prove something is wrong in order to spend money to fix it, ie they need a code to do anything other than look at it. It makes sense that there not going to get reimbursed for changing the oil and filter(which i think would help cause i believe it is a sticking valve) because there is no way to prove to gm that it needs it. So i cant get mad and yell at the dealer if there hands are tied.

Archived