2007 Avalanche randomly dies

Yesterday my mom was driving my dad's '07 Avalanche and it randomly died in the grocery store parking lot.

This is the 3rd time that it has happened. I don't remember when it did it the first time but the second time happened to them when they were on their way to Orange Beach, AL 1-2 years ago. I want to say that it was about 500 miles between the first and second time it happened. Dad doesn't drive the truck much since he has a company car so it very well could have been 500 miles since the second time and now.

The Stability/Traction Control light comes on then some messages come across the DIC. Engine Powering Down, Stability Shutting down, Traction Shutting down, etc. (Mom's words so not sure exactly what it says). Then it won't start. The funny thing is is that she had my dad come up there and he started the truck right up and drove off.

They have taken it to the dealer and they cannot find any codes once the truck drives. They put a tracker on it to log any time that it happens and it never did it while they had it hooked up. They suspect that it is something with the computer but not sure.

Any ideas on this one? Other than this happening randomly, the truck still drives great with 106K on it.

Since this is the 3rd time, I'm wondering if this can be considered a Lemon under TN's lemon law.

Also, I'm going to tell them to have the battery tested just to make sure but the battery is fairly new. But with the heat and not driving it as much, it could be going out.

Edit - Just found out that it does happen every 500 miles or so.

Random things like that lead me to think about checking all grounds first. Good luck.

I assume they would have checked that but I can look too.

Any ideas on where the grounds are that I would need to check?

Actually, now that you said that it reminded me of something. I believe the found some exposed/frayed wires and replaced them. Maybe they didn't tighten down the grounds good enough.

Edit - Just found out that it does happen every 500 miles or so.

106K on it.

Since this is the 3rd time, I'm wondering if this can be considered a Lemon under TN's lemon law.

I'm thinking too many miles to be considered under a lemon law.

106K on it.

I'm thinking too many miles to be considered under a lemon law.

I wasn't sure if there was a mileage cap or not. The first time they caught it was within warranty so the second time they considered it an in-warranty claim.

I'm going to try to read up on it and see what TN's lemon law is. I'm going to check the grounds maybe this weekend for him but I just need to find them all.

Here is what I found about TN Lemon Law:

"The Law is unclear about whether you have to have reported your problem during the "term of protection" in order to have a claim under the "Lemon Law." The Division has adopted the view that the problem essentially has to be reported within the first year or within the term of the warranty, whichever comes first."

"You can file a law suit at anytime within one year from the date of original delivery of your car or within six months from the expiration of your expressed warranty, whichever is later. Extended warranties are not considered. You should consult an attorney well before the expiration of your time limit to be sure of preserving your legal rights."

We would be ok on the first point because it was still in warranty when the first claim was made but I think the second statement would get us. It's been longer than 6 months since it went out of it's warranty.

Do they warranty there work?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

I'm sure they would. We also know the Sales Manager pretty well who might help us out. I'll have to get dad to ask.

everything throws codes and stores in history ....

engines dont just stop with out a reason a computer cant record a fault ,,,

i call BS on the dealer

my 2 cents of course !!

lol

i call double BS on a devise to a "tracker " absolutely full of crap...

scanner has a failure records in it during the time that the code trips

have battery checked as mentioned ,termials etc

low voltage concerns do stupid things ,,,ask me about it ,we have about a zillion 03 K2 dirtymax p/u's in the army up heahh in canuckland !!

Archived