Error code question...

Would like to post a question for a family member:

2000 GMC C1500 with a 4.8L engine - Error Code P1416

"All the testing and looking showed that the air pump solenoid relay was bad. I have power coming in to the relay but not out. I tested the pump and it works fine. So I got a new relay and plugged it in. Got power in and out now and pump on. A few minutes later pump turns off and only have power coming in again.

I would like to know if this pump is on all the time when car is running or does it cycle on and off? Or is there a common problem that makes the relay go bad."

Thanks in advance for any replies that could help sort this issue out.

The PCM supplies a ground to the relay to energize it. If you're not getting a ground from the PCM then you won't get power out. I think it only operates in the closed loop mode.

An secondary air injection (AIR) pump is used on this vehicle to lower tail pipe emissions on start-up. The powertrain control module (PCM) supplies a ground to the AIR pump relay, which energizes the AIR pump and the AIR solenoid valve. Engine vacuum is applied to the AIR Shut-off valve when the AIR solenoid is energized. The engine vacuum opens the AIR shut-off valve which allows air to flow to the exhaust manifolds.

The PCM monitors the heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) voltages to diagnose the AIR system.

During the AIR test, the PCM activates the AIR pump during Closed Loop operation. When the AIR system is activated, the PCM monitors the HO2S voltages and short term fuel trim values for both banks of the engine. If the AIR system is operating properly, the HO2S voltages should go low and the short term fuel trim should go high.

If the PCM determines that the HO2S voltages for both banks did not respond as expected during the tests, DTC P0410 sets. If only one sensor responded, the PCM sets either a DTC P1415 or P1416 to indicate on which bank the AIR system is inoperative.

post-20832-0-78051400-1345413260_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

I also had DTC 0410. I checked pump (running at cold start up). Checked the soleniod (40 ohms). Checked valve pulled vacuum on it (still could be stuck) then checked vac from intake to soleniod (about hour later) and found it to be very weak. Line from intake to plastic line was crispy and leaking. Replaced and all is well. So check vacuum at soleniod first. Also had DTC code 416 and changed both check valves about year ago. Love the forum

Buzz

Archived