Navigation/GPS way off

My Nav is WAY off, tried calibrate and relocate several times. Then it works for 30 minutes or so. Sometimes it runs 2 miles behind me, sometimes runs in circles around origin 200 miles back. Also clock on auto update is 6 hours and 46 mins off. (always the same)

1. 06 Avalanche
  2. bought in 09, worked well for a year, then put in diff. head unit, (eclipse avn526)
  3. 2012 had problems with eclipse and reinstalled original unit.
  4. Could not find original nav disk, bought one from Ebay, (can't imagine trouble is with disk)

Possible causes:

• installer moved antenna under dash?
  • installer did not pug everything in correctly?
  • battery on cmos went dead from sitting on shelf for 2 years? (if there is such a thing)
  • since nav and gps update for clock is off, I think it is not getting a good signal to gps. I read somewhere there is an antenna under the dash, Maybe they moved that?
  • It works sometimes, so it is getting a weak signal at least.

My Nav is WAY off, tried calibrate and relocate several times. Then it works for 30 minutes or so. Sometimes it runs 2 miles behind me, sometimes runs in circles around origin 200 miles back. Also clock on auto update is 6 hours and 46 mins off. (always the same)

1. 06 Avalanche

2. bought in 09, worked well for a year, then put in diff. head unit, (eclipse avn526)

3. 2012 had problems with eclipse and reinstalled original unit.

4. Could not find original nav disk, bought one from Ebay, (can't imagine trouble is with disk)

Possible causes:

• installer moved antenna under dash?

• installer did not pug everything in correctly?

• battery on cmos went dead from sitting on shelf for 2 years? (if there is such a thing)

• since nav and gps update for clock is off, I think it is not getting a good signal to gps. I read somewhere there is an antenna under the dash, Maybe they moved that?

• It works sometimes, so it is getting a weak signal at least.

The factory GPS antenna was located in back of the deck on a small metal shelf at the base of the windshield.

My guess is that the GPS antenna has fallen off this shelf and is just floating around behind the deck.

Since almost everything you described is related to GPS signal, that's the first place to start.

Should take you about 5 minutes (if that) to pull the deck and check this out...

:fingersx: Got it!!! I pulled the nav unit out and found a cable not hooked up. Once done my clock immediatly went to correct time. Navigation found where I was. Went for a short drive and all is well. Long trip Sunday will confirm. Thanks for the advice!!

Archived