looking at buying a new GMC

hi all, just joined up because i have some questions on a truck i wanna buy. I currently have a 2004 ext cab short bed F350 single rear wheel with the 5.4, auto 4speed, 4.30 gears. Ive always been a Ford guy but ever since the crappy 6.0 and all the problems i read about on the new Super Duties ive decided to look at a new GMC. I want a 3500HD single tire, crew cab, long bed with gas motor and the steepest towing gears GM offers. Just want to hear about MPG on something like this, any other problems etc?

Thanks,

Mike

Welcome.

The truck in my sig has been a pleasure to own. Have had no problems what so ever. The gas 6.0 has plenty of power here at altitude in Colorado and the new 6 speed trans is great. I have had a 2000 pound camper in the back since new so my mileage figures are lower than what the empty figures would be.

12 to 13 city

13 to 16 highway (speed kills on the highway with the camper)

I have the 3:73 gears but if your heavy go with the 4:10s.....don't forget the Eaton G80 locking dif.

Good luck and welcome to the light.

Take a look at fuelly.com too. Select Chevy and GMC 2500HDs since 2007 w/ they got the 6L90 transmission, and skim through for the gas motors. mpg = not too good. Average for 6.0 gas seems to be ~3 mpg less than w/ 6.2 diesel.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I have 2012 3500 SRW crewshort bed 4x4 gasser with 4:10 axle. Third GM hd I have owned, best one yet. I average 12 mpg not towing and maybe 14 mpg highway. I tow a 12k fifth wheel rv and get about 8 towing.

Steve

Archived