Android Apps Not Available

fm2176

I recently added SiriusXM internet radio to my XM service so I can keep up with Jason Ellis and listen to uncensored radio without creating an online playlist somewhere. The service works fine on my laptop, but when I try to download the Android app for my phone a message pops up saying that the app is not available for my country (I'm currentlly deployed). I Googled the subject a while back and found that SiriusXM satellite radios will not work outside of North America but that the internet radio is available nearly everywhere. So I guess that either a) SiriusXM doesn't want portable device users to use their services in certain countries; b) there are laws and regulations that forbid certain apps in certain countries (understandable given the nature of some SiriusXM programming, though it doesn't explain why the internet radio is still available); or c) somehow the app relies on the satellites for its signal (I'm no tech geek, but I'm fairly certain it runs off the internet programming and needs wifi and/or 3G, though it is GPS capable, so who knows?).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can "trick" my phone into believing it is in the states? Should I resign myself to the slight inconvenience of having the laptop with me whenever I want to listen to the radio?

I'm hoping to get the app so that I can use my phone during workouts and at other times where a laptop would be too bulky. If needed, I suppose I can just invest in some decent wireless headphones, though.

This is the very edge of my knowledge but can you connect to a US-based proxy server on your phone so you can mask your location? I know when I've been out of country on business and wanted to watch US-only content (like when the networks put shows online) I've used my companies VPN as a proxy server to watch them.

I would suggest finding the newest APK (v2.2) and trying to manually install outside the Play Store. If you've enabled "Install non market sources" on your phone, it should be pretty easy. I'll try to find the latest file for you to download.

It's called side-loading apps. Might have more success researching with that term.

EDIT: Heres a link to an APK that might work. You probably need ASTRO to install the APK, and like someone earlier mentioned, enable the non-market sources.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1346549&d=1348354665

Thanks for the help! I'll be playing around with the phone when I have time. I want to eventually root my phone as well, since it came preinstalled with a bunch of unused apps that eat up its small memory (the phone is the Samsung Galaxy Prevail).

Thanks for the help! I'll be playing around with the phone when I have time. I want to eventually root my phone as well, since it came preinstalled with a bunch of unused apps that eat up its small memory (the phone is the Samsung Galaxy Prevail).

Rooting and uninstalling the bloatware is always the way to go if you aren't too faint of heart. Makes the Android experience so much better without the service provider's crud clogging it up.

As others said "side loading" is probably the best way to do it. Hopefully you can "allow unknown sources" on a completely stock set-up, it's been so long that I don't remember that part. Assuming you can since others suggested it.

Es File Explorer is another app that you can use to install apk files. I switched over from Astro to Es quite a while ago. All personal preference of course since both do basically the same thing in the end.

I just sideloaded adobe flash player to my s3. Its very easy to do. I am sure its very close to what tou want to do

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Archived