Need Some Wheel Advice. Offset? Width?

diggerdan11

So I want to get some new wheels for my truck. The ones I want seem back ordered everywhere, but I dont mind waiting. I found one site that has them for sale but I need to call them and double check that they have them in stock. They have two different offsets and Im trying to figure out what one I should get.

Truck: 2003 Silverado 1500HD 4X4

Tires : 285/75r16 ( approx 33")

Suspension: Torsion bars were tweaked just a bit.

The current 285/75r16 have no issues rubbing, but I dont want to risk rubbing with the new wheels.

Does anyone know what the stock with is on a HD 16" wheel. IIt should be 8" right?

What is the offset? I have heard both +35 and +31

The wheels I want are a 16X8 with either a -6 or a +10 offset Which one would you guys suggest? I dont want my wheels to stick out too far

I found this calculator and I hope it helps me figure out the wheels I want.

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator

If I enter in the stock wheels being a 8" with a +35 mm offset. The -6 offset will stick out 41mm (1.6in) and the +10 will stick out 25mm (.98in)

If the stock wheels are 8" with a +31 offset . The -6 offset will stick out 37mm (1.46 in) and the +10 will stick out 21mm (.82in)

So the offset of the stock wheels will be very important in helping me determine which ones I want to get.

You will want the +10. Or find some 8 lug SS reps

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Yeah I was thinking that +10 would be the ones I want

According to this link I found a 285/75r16 will not have any issues rubbing as long as the backspacing is not less that 4.5In (it was for a 1500 and i would assume a 1500HD would have less issues rubbing)

http://www.wheelsforless.com/GM_Truck.htm

And according to this link, the backspacing of a +10 offset on a 8" wheel si 4.89 in so I should be good.

http://s47.photobucket.com/user/4DRLS2/media/TBSS%20Wheels/rimbackspacingchart.jpg.html

Have some SS reps custom made. You know you miss the SS Dan

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

yeah I do a bit, but I want to keep the 16" I have brand new tires on my trucks and I dont wnat to have to buy new ones also, plus id did the large rims once and Ive decided to go with a beeffy tire.

Stock HD rims are 16"x6.5" with +31mm offset.

Thank You

Wow they are only 6.5" Wide? Thats a lot skinnier that I thought they were.

That means that the wheels I want that are 8 inch with a +10 offset will stick out 40mm, or 1.5 in. Man I hope they dont rub

The backspacing on a stock HD 6.5" wheel is about 5" and the backspacing on the 8" with the +10 offset is also about 5" so there should not be a problem with rubbing on the inside, its the outside of the wheel im concerned about.

This calculator says that I should not have nay issues with the suspension, but may have issues with the fenders.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

The shop that tweaked my torsion bars also did a little bit of trimming of the plastic, so hoepfully they did enough. I could always go ahead and do a leveling kit, but I was told that it will make much truck a little rougher riding, and a little squirly in 4WD.

Im looking into different body lift options, and possible a suspension lift. But im not sure how good 33" tires will look with a 4" or 6" lift. And those tires are brand new and would hate to have to buy new ones.

My 06 1500HD I ran a levelling kit, 2 inch blocks and minor trimming I ran 33x13.5 r18 tired. Rims were 18x9 with +18 offset, looked decent barely any rubbing. Didn't have to crank t-bars very much at all still rode nice.

My original plan was levelling kit, fender cut-outs/flares and 35x13.5's...tepy5ysu.jpg

My 06 1500HD I ran a levelling kit, 2 inch blocks and minor trimming I ran 33x13.5 r18 tired. Rims were 18x9 with +18 offset, looked decent barely any rubbing. Didn't have to crank t-bars very much at all still rode nice. My original plan was levelling kit, fender cut-outs/flares and 35x13.5's...tepy5ysu.jpg

Very nice. Those are some wide tires.

So I did a test yesterday, and it looks like my new wheels will cause my tires to rub on the bottom plastic part of the bumper. It will be an easy trim. I think i should be able to trim and it should clear no problem. Now I just have to decide if I want to do something to make the truck look more aggressive.

A 2" body lift would be a nice addition, but id dont want to pay for that and then decided its not enough. I could do a 4-6" lift but im not sure how the 285/75r16s will look under a lift. Im affraid they will be a little too small and narrow, and they are brand new and I really dont want to fork out $2000 for a lift and another $1000 for new tires on top of the wheels I just bought.

Archived