Bad Battery?

Not sure how to diagnose this and looking for some help. Recently, I have noticed that my truck will not start if I turn off the engine and leave on the radio for a few( 5-10?) minutes. In the past, I could turn the engine off and sit in my truck and listen to the radio for 20+ minutes with no problem. The radio and any other accessories running would automatically turn off after several minutes. I would then put the keys the back in and flick them forward( without starting the truck), to get the radio on if I need to. Now, after the accessories turn off, I can attempt to start the truck but it won't have enough juice to turn over.

Does this sound like a bad battery? I had the battery tested at a local parts shop and they said it was reading the proper cranking amps, but this was just after I had driven the truck 4-5 miles to get to the shop.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Assuming they did a proper load test on the battery and it is good then then the place to start is at the battery terminals. Take them off and check for corrosion, make sure everything is shiny like new. Follow the negative to where it is grounded and make sure that is clean and shiny where it connects as well. If your battery has a bad cell a charge on it will look good for a short period of time and if the start is easy start the engine. The charge will go away quick though, A proper load check with resistors loading the battery will go past this point and show a bad battery. A volt meter check will show the same battery as good if it has been freshly charged or run. A radio won't draw much off a good battery even after hours of playing.

Another check you can do, best if you are near a plug and battery charger, is to leave the truck off and turn your headlights on. This is a more serious draw on your battery. With a good battery you should easily go 15 to 20 minutes and still be able to start the engine. If you have a bad cell they will dim fairly quickly and you won't be able to start the engine.

Bad connections are the enemy. One the positive side if your battery terminal is good it is rare there is a problem on the rest of the way through. The problem normally is with the grounds and that can be a convoluted path through the cab to the frame to the engine to the battery. Auto electrical can be a real pain in the butt. You have to have a full circuit. I go to A, the positive terminal on the battery, then Z, the ground, and work back to A.

Assuming they did a proper load test on the battery and it is good then then the place to start is at the battery terminals. Take them off and check for corrosion, make sure everything is shiny like new. Follow the negative to where it is grounded and make sure that is clean and shiny where it connects as well. If your battery has a bad cell a charge on it will look good for a short period of time and if the start is easy start the engine. The charge will go away quick though, A proper load check with resistors loading the battery will go past this point and show a bad battery. A volt meter check will show the same battery as good if it has been freshly charged or run. A radio won't draw much off a good battery even after hours of playing.

Another check you can do, best if you are near a plug and battery charger, is to leave the truck off and turn your headlights on. This is a more serious draw on your battery. With a good battery you should easily go 15 to 20 minutes and still be able to start the engine. If you have a bad cell they will dim fairly quickly and you won't be able to start the engine.

Bad connections are the enemy. One the positive side if your battery terminal is good it is rare there is a problem on the rest of the way through. The problem normally is with the grounds and that can be a convoluted path through the cab to the frame to the engine to the battery. Auto electrical can be a real pain in the butt. You have to have a full circuit. I go to A, the positive terminal on the battery, then Z, the ground, and work back to A.

Thanks for the detailed response. I have checked the terminals. They look perfect. They are tight, clean, and no corrosion at all. I am inclined to think it has a dead cell, possibly cells. This is why after the truck has run for a few minutes, it will start very easily, yet a few minutes of radio draw reduces the battery power to the point that it is not strong enough to start the truck.

I would think it is the battery. Considering the hastle to trouble shoot the electrical and a new battery being less than $100 I would try a new battery. Or grab one out of another vehicle and try it. I have some pretty bad looking grounds in my 2001 but once you undue the bolt the mating surfaces are in good shape.

Archived