2001 6.0L rear main seal install

Plugwrench

Question

Need Help:

Working on a 2001 Chevy suburban 2500 2WD with a 6.0L. My question is I am replacing rear main seal and back plate and new part came with new style rear main seal installed in back plate. The service manual shows installing the parts separately with special tools, I have the tools but it only works with the seal not installed, so that you can align the back plate on the crankshaft and then install the rear main seal. What is GM's new procedure to make sure that you get the back plate and seal aligned on the crankshaft so that the seal will not leak?

Thank You,

Plugwrench

2 answers to this question

The engines that I have replace rear main seals on were not that hard to install the seal. Just a little bit more pressure that you can apply with your hand(not saying you can install it by hand, just that it is no where near as tight fit as seals with a metal outer surface). I would think the trick is getting the plate lined up correctly and having it stay aligned while seal is installed. Lubricate the sealing surface, and the outside surface of the new seal before installing it.

It should not require a lot of force to install the seal, you could likely install the seal with a small non-metal hammer tapping around the seal, or use something the same diameter as the seal, and drive the seal in as equally as possible. Be thankful you are not trying to install the rear main seals they had when I started in this trade.

Installation Procedure – Cover with

Seal

Notice: Refer to Fastener

Notice.

2. Install the J

41479-2A

cone and bolts onto the rear of the crankshaft.

5. Install the NEW rear housing gasket (1), rear housing with

seal (2), rear housing-to-engine bolts (3) and oil pan-to-rear housing

bolts (4).

7. Tighten the rear housing-to-engine bolts (3) until snug. Do

not overtighten.

Tighten

Tighten the oil pan-to-rear housing

bolts (4) to 12 Y (106 lb in).

9. Tighten the rear housing-to-engine

bolts (3).

Tighten

Tighten the bolts to 30 Y (22 lb ft).