Bad thermostat?

sahls01gmc

Question

I noticed the past couple of days that a pool of coolant resides under my truck after driving it. The overflow tank is almost completely empty. The puddle is on the right side, but when I checked it, I couldn't see exactly where the coolant was coming from. Could a stuck thermostat cause this? It continually runs just under 210 degrees, and the low coolant light has NOT come on....yet. What could be some causes of this?

Any help is more than appreciated!

5 answers to this question

Bad thermostat wouldn't cause a leak ... but a bad gasket would, or worn out hoses. If the cap hasn't been changed in a while, it wouldn't hurt to swap that out too.

My thought on the thermostat is if it doesn't open or close, whichever one is correct, it causes pressure to "puke" the coolant out of the overflow tank. It seems to run out the hose at the top of the overflow tank. I will look closely to track this down. I replaced the thermostat and water pump about 15,000 miles ago, and the cap on the overflow as well.

Again, I realize I may have jumped the gun without knowing enough details to get an answer, but I wanted to get an idea of what to expect as well.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Well, it appears to be one of the lines coming out of the heater core from the firewall. It is the one closer to the drivers side. Assuming it is just a clamp or that end of the hose is bad, I will start by replacing that. Any need to worry about the heater core itself?

I'll keep you updated as I go along.

Thanks

Archived