2500 HD Vs. 3500 HD SRW 6.0 Gas w/4.10

Elbert

Ok...

I'm new to this forum a little and wanted to get some feedback from som GM guys. I'm old school GM and like the new body style trucks. At present I have a 07 2500 HD 4wd extended cab, short bed with 3.73. I tow a trailer thats ballparking 9.5K loaded.

I'm considering the following. (I don't want to debate dmax vs gas..etc, and I don't want a dually). So I'm looking at the following depending on price (2014 and 2013 models).

3500 HD SRW 4wd 6.0 gas engine 4.10 long bed... I will not go into the other options for this post.

vs.

2500 HD 4wd 6.0 gas engine 4.10 long bed....same thing I will not list the other options but it would have locking rear and hd trailer setup.

I'm looking at the 2014 Chevrolet Trailering Guide which anyone can go download off their web site and in particular I"m looking at the conventional trailer weight ratings. I'm comparing apples to apples so just for fun lest say these are regular cab, long beds with the otherwise above noted configuration. Apples to apples with the gas engine and 4.10 the rating is the same for both...at 13,000lbs.

So given that...would it be money wasted to go with a 3500 series truck, given that in my example the 3500 will be a SRW (single rear wheel). At the point of this msg..while I have not done the research I assume the 3500 has bigger brakes and potentiall a bigger radiator (not sure), the drive-train between the two as far as engine and transmission are the same to the extent I know and I don't know if the 3500 SRW setup shares the same rear axle as the 2500. I also assume the springs are HD on the 3500? But I'm doing a lot of assuming. I don't tow on the heavy side of the tow rating as I noted above and basiclly this is a HD car hauler trailer that I tow my trail truck around on 86FJ60 with some mods.

Anyway for those who may have first hand knowledge....what if any are the advantages of a GM 3500HD SRW vs. a 2500 HD of similar configuration? ie..both have single rear wheels, both 4wd, both 6.0 gas with 4.10 rear end, both would have similar cabs and long bed, etc...

I know a dmax in the dually configuration of the 3500 puts all the others to shame...but given the $$ I dont' have a another 7K$ to throw at a dmax truck. So if you could please address raw differences between 2500HD and 3500 HD SRW. On paper and on the weight rating / capacity they are essentially the same thing.

Thanks... Comments?

The difference in the 2 would be payload. Trailering may be the same but the 3500 should have a higher GVWR

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

The difference in the 2 would be payload. Trailering may be the same but the 3500 should have a higher GVWR Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Ok I'm tracking to that...but even then I wonder if that makes any reasonble difference. I generally don't have the truck loaded down that much when towing...Maybe some additonal camping gear and cooler etc, clothes.

Thanks... it would appear that generally speaking there is no major difference. I'm wondering if the frame and springs are different between the two given the SRW configuration. I've bounced around the build tool on the Chevrolet web site and there not much difference in dollars between the two trucks in prices when you configure them teh same (the 3500 comes with some of the HD trailer configuration standard).

thanks for the feedback... I'm going to see what I can find on the web. We will see...if no difference in dollars it might be whatever truck I can find that fits my configuration needs and budget better. GM has stopped building 2014 models so whatever you get will be what you can find sitting on a lot somewhere obviously the same for the 2013 models too.

While not on this topic....does anyone know if there is a tool you can searh globally for specific models on dealer lots. I know I can use the build tool for chevrolet and it will search local dealers and I know that if I can find a deler web site I can search their inventory based on their individual web sites. What would be nice (I know dealers can apparently do this)....I would like to search say 1,000 miles peremeter...for long bed 4.10 truck myself...via GM tools...I assume GM has reserved this for its dealers...I've not come across a way to do that.

The 3500 has some heavier springs in the back. That helps raise the payload. With your trailer you would be fine with the 2500.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

The 3500 has some heavier springs in the back. That helps raise the payload. With your trailer you would be fine with the 2500. Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

yeah I agree, while I may buy a gooseneck trailer downrange sometime...the difference between the configurations is still miniamal, when comparing the variable (conentional trailer weight ratings).

Certainly agree with you on the 2500 being fine. Its what I have at present. I was trying to come to a decision point if I found a nice 3500 SRW would it be worth any additional money on my part if priced above a similar 2500 configuration and as it stands right now it looks like that answer is no. I'll try and do some more research...GM has some fairly big "cash back" deals going on... I suspect they are sitting on alot of 2014 inventory....2015 model trucks are hitting the lots.

Agreed that a 2500 would be fine for your needs.. Also a

The 2500 will ride a little better then the 3500 too.. My friend has the same truck as mine in a 3500 and it's noticeably stiffer. Also be aware that with the 410 your going to be drinking gas.10 to 12 mpg

Also with the 15's hitting the dealers now you should be able to find a decent deal on a 14 hd

I drink gas now...I think what I have now gets maybe 15mpg on the hway unloaded. I've not checked the mpg in a while but the last time I did it was bouncing around that.

I may buy a gooseneck later on that will add to my capacity to tow and I'm sure the trailer will weigh a little bit more that what I have now. At presnet my HD metal deck trailer weighs 3K..

I know it will not be pretty at the gas station.

at what I"m looking at purely off the trailer weight rating (comparing R&P ratio).... 3.73 = 9,900lbs , 4.10 = 13,000

When I was shopping for our '13 back in Sept, for both the '13 and '14 trucks, when equiped the exact same, a 3500 was actually cheaper than a 2500 by a few hundred or so. Hitch pkg and tow mirrors are/ were standard on the 3500 which is part of the reason. So money wise, yes it is worth it. But as mentioned, will have a little rougher ride.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

When I started looking for an HD I hadn't really hadn't considered a 3500 because I really only needed a 2500. I knew I wanted a 4.10 rear to pull a fifth wheel. Ended up with a 3500 because the dealers only had 2500's with the 3.73 rear. The price difference was negligible. As far as the ride goes I think it is the same as a 2500, I believe the only difference is the rear leaf pack on the 3500 has a set of auxiliary springs that are only engagaged when there is a load in the bed. My friend has my exact truck but a 2500 and I notice no difference in ride compared to my 3500. Have you actually located a 2500 with a 4.10 rear? Since the price diff is so small I would just get the 3500 and not look back. As far as MPG I get 12 city and 14-16 hwy depending on my speed, anything over 70 the rpms get over 2000 and it starts drinking gas. Pulling my 7000lb fifth wheel I get 8-9mpg but the 4.10 IMO helps a ton when pulling a trailer with a gas motor.

• 4 weeks later...

well I made my call..

bought a 14 reg cab 2500 HD 6.0 gas with 4.10. 2wd this time though.

I like the 4.10 and I would recomend that you go with a 4.10 if you do any serious towing, I also got a long bed so I could get the larger fuel tank. Not a lot of differnece between my 07 and the 14 for the most part.

I'm told that the only real difference between the 2500 and 3500 trucks are the rear springs like some mentioned...other than that about the same ruck all the way around....with the obvioius difference being a 3500 with the dual tire rear end. Most drivetrain componets are identical...between the two.

Does the SRW 3500 6.0l come with the bigger 14 bolt rear(11.5)? I know that in the 2500 HD GMT 800 trucks the big block and DMax trucks had the bigger rear, and the 6.0l gasser had the smaller 10.5 rear.

From what I was told... the dmax has larger rear axle in the SRW 3500 and 2500 trucks. I don't know if there is only one choice with the dual tire axle on the 3500. (Just going off of what I was told...)

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a 2014 3500HD 6.0 gas. I have the heavier springs, larger rear brakes and the 11.4 inch rear axle ,same as used in Dmax And Dodge Cummins. I believe the cummins has gone up to a 11.5 or 11.9 inch rear.The manufacturer of rear axle is AAM. plowking

• 3 weeks later...

anyone else notice that "grade breaking" on teh gas model trucks seems to be far less effective? On my 07 in tow haul mode the transmission would downshift all teh way down to 2nd dpending on speed under fast stop....on my 14..so far if it shifts down one gear thats...all. 14 truck is new and I've only towed once with it (today)...was not impressed at all with grade breaking in comparison with my 07. 6.0 gas truck, 2500HD. I will say the 07 seemed too aggressive, but the 14 seems to weak... grade breaking to me ...means teh truck in tow haul mode will shift down to the next gear to help control speed on descent or in heavy braking while towing.

I was towing about 10K in weight...in tow haul mode....truck might have downshifted one time (the couple of times I tested it) once I noticed it was not near as aggressive as the 07 model truck I had. Anyone know about this? I saw another note where the dealer told some people this is normal. Grade breaking is not to shift down one gear when breaking from 70mph down to say 30mph...in a short distance.

Archived