Turn radius

I recently traded 2001 1500 LT Extended cab short box for a 2003 2500HD LT Extended cab short box.  It seems to me that the 2500HD has a shorter turn radius.

I know the 1500 used rack/pinion steering and the 2500HD uses recirculated ball steering.  Could it be that this gives a tighter turn radius, or am I just imagining it?  

Anyone have any numbers?

You can do a comparison by using carsdirect.com's comparison features.  They're a little clunky to use (first you have to select two 1500s (or two 2500s) to compare (just pick 2 different trim levels of the truck you'd want), then you can add the appropriate 2500 (or 1500, as the case may be) and remove the extra 1500 (or 2500).  You'll also have to click to expand the dimensions and capacities line item.  I'm sure that there's an easier way to do this, but I haven't figured it out.

For what it's worth, I remember comparing the 1500 Suburban with the 2500 Suburban in this regard and the 2500 had a foot or two wider turning circle.  I don't know if it's the same for the HD pickups.

Archived