2015 Suburban - noise in driver side center console

New to the forum, please forgive me if this topic has already been covered. A month after purchase (purchased 7/10/14), I discovered a rattling noise (sounds like someone doing morse code) coming from the console, if you are sitting in the driver's seat, it's to the right of the driver's right leg. There's a little storage compartment there (very narrow, sometimes I put my iPhone in it, not much else will fit) and if I push on it, the noise will go away.

About 3 weeks ago, I had the dealer look at it while my husband was in for an oil change, well of course the sound could not be duplicated. The service guy told us that they found a lose antenna and they taped it down. There is no way, an antenna is causing the rattling, sounds more like a screw or metal plate moving. On the way home from the dealership, while driving 75 mph on the interstate, the rattling began again. Ugh. I'm a busy mom to 3, and have not had the time to take it back in. However, we are leaving on Christmas Eve and driving to see family 500 miles away. I cannot listen to the rattle for that long of a trip. So I'm taking the Suburban in on Monday morning to try to have it repaired.

The rattling will go away if you press hard on the area the noise is coming from. Has anyone else experienced this issue? They had nothing in their database about this problem and I'm desperate to have it fixed Monday due to our long trip. The '09 Yukon XL we traded in never had one rattle. It's annoying having a $60K vehicle rattling.

I've also been hearing what sounds like air leaks coming from the windshield, but my husband says he hears nothing (I think he's just accustomed to his older model company truck sounding loud while driving) but this Suburban is definitely louder in the cabin now, than it was when we purchased it. ANY advice/info would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance. :)

Edited by GaMom

GaMom - I think I read somewhere else on the forum that someone was experiencing what you described. Don't tell the technician what you believe it to be because it may be something else, don't distract them. Point in case, the issue on the other vehicle ended up being a seatbelt housing.

As for the the "sounds like air leaks coming from the windshield", it maybe defective weatherstripping. You or the husband sit in the truck and the other grab the water hose. With the water hose in hand put a steady stream of water on the bottom side of the windshield, annotate results. Then put a steady stream of water on the sides of the windshield, annotate the results. Then put a steady stream of water on the top of the windshield, annotate results. Ensure you apply the water in the way indentified above or you may not get an as accurate reading. If water doesn't seep in, then air shouldn't either, you could probably eliminate the weatherstripping. Provide the info to the technician.

Edited by The Zip

So I drive 20 mins to the dealer to drop off my Suburban and they inform me they would need to keep it for a week because their trim guys are on vacation, all but two. We are headed out of town Wednesday for a long road trip, so of course this wouldn't work. The service guy is trying to find a loaner 'burb or yukon xl for us to take on trip. On the way home, I started to hear noise coming from the driver side seat belt housing (or casing, or whatever), I guess I'll add that to my short list of stuff for them to look at.

GaMom - When you get the replacement vehicle, be sure to monitor the kids for irritability in an otherwise sound kid. Hopefully the replacement vehicle won't have "buffeting" issues, if it does you will be wishing the rattling was back. Monitor your and the kids health when driving in the replacement, I consider the buffeting in these fullsize GM SUVs (especially the extended versions) a very serious health and safety condition.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, here we are a month later and after two more trips to the dealer, that freakin rattle is still there. This last time they told me they insulated a couple of plastic pieces and that seemed to do the trick. The noise doesn't even sound like plastic and on the way home the noise starts again. We are really at our wit's end. My husband plans on calling them in the morning and telling them to come and get it and bring us a loaner (the last time I got a loaner, they tried putting me in a Chevy cruise...which is smaller than an accord!). We are tired of driving the 20 mins to the dealer. Any advice?

Edited by GaMom
  • Like 1

GaMom - don't know if you're looking for advice for the rattle or the drive. For the drive, it's not common for the dealership to pick-up your truck for service. However they will give you a ride back within reason, 20 minutes is reasonable for them, and you. Could be worse, how do you think the guy feels who has to drive an hour.

The rattle, see if you can help out the technician by eliminating if the rattle is inside or outside the truck. For outside, crank the truck, pop the hood, and listen for a rattle under the hood. Look under the truck moving from front to back both sides, listen for a rattle. Close the hood, stand on the curb, drive by while husband listens for a rattle. For inside, ride in the second and third rows, all seats, listen for a rattle. Provide info you "know" to the technician, different from my earlier post when I suggested you don't tell the technician what you "believe".

We would like for these technicians to be perfect, but the reality is they're just like us.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

My 2015 Suburban is not even a month old and has the same ticking, plastic on plastic cracking sound. I took it to the dealer and the technician heard it on a test drive and called it a "Dash itch." The location is the same exact spot as you described, to the right of your leg as you are driving. I was happy once I found the location and was able to push hard on the panel to the lower left of the radio over the console and the tick would go away. The noise occurs over bumps only. What is the latest update on the resolution of your issue? I have an appointment for them to look at this next week but am not confident.

Edited by ny2015sub

I was happy once I found the location and was able to push hard on the panel to the lower left of the radio over the console and the tick would go away.

You may have something for your issue, it sounds like your dash has too much play if the tick goes away when you push in. When you take it into the shop, ask the tech to replace the dash and if not add some more padding on the inside edge of the dash which may fill some of the space enough to stop the tick. Dash itch should be their problem not yours, if this was me my first option would be dash replacement.

It's definitely padding that is required, replacement of the dash or likely the console. I should video tape the sound as it goes over the bumps. For now I just listen to the music louder but on a long road trip it would be maddening. I have an appointment on June 5th and will see what they say. Thank you for the post.