Adding Steering Wheel Controls & Color DIC to W/T

AMK

I have a 2015 Work Truck model without Steering Wheel Controls or the Color Driver Information Center (my truck has the monochrome screen). Has anyone attempted an upgrade to add these features? I know on my 08 work truck, the wiring provision was already in place for the steering wheel audio contols, and it was a simple "plug & play".

Any thoughts or expericence would be greatly appreciated!

It might be possible, I know that the instrument panel will need to be programmed from Chris White has said in the past. I would contact him and seek his advice and info. He is member GTPRIX on here I believe.

I have a 2015 Work Truck model without Steering Wheel Controls or the Color Driver Information Center (my truck has the monochrome screen). Has anyone attempted an upgrade to add these features? I know on my 08 work truck, the wiring provision was already in place for the steering wheel audio contols, and it was a simple "plug & play".

Any thoughts or expericence would be greatly appreciated!

Things that were plug and play on the old trucks are not that way anymore unfortunately. Most people are finding that if the truck did not come from the factory with the accessories you want than it can't be added after the fact. As stated above one member might can do it but, I believe you have to remove the BCM and send it to him to be programmed.

The Driver Information Center (has the monochrome screen) has the mileage locked into the screen or is it in the computer? If you can change out this screen would it or would not affecting the mileage reading on the truck with a new screen???

I don't know but I would also like to find out. If your willing to try go here and get the parts Iamgmparts.com they are pretty cheap.

What are all the parts "numbers" you need for this change over?

Not sure but not hat website it shows you most of the components for this. And you buy what u need, we'll if you know what you need which I don't lol. I doubt is just plug and play

Maybe if we can get a GM customer service advisor to check if this is doable and what is needed to do so.

The Driver Information Center (has the monochrome screen) has the mileage locked into the screen or is it in the computer? If you can change out this screen would it or would not affecting the mileage reading on the truck with a new screen???

The dash cluster and DIC and VIN locked. If you attempted to swap them over it will brick the dash cluster and DIC and they will be junk from what Chris has said in the past.

I was considering it myself, but I don't think it's worth the hassle in the end.

It would be nice but it is in deed to much hassle. What I did was use my nexus 7 as my head unit. I had a custom case that I took apart so I could velcro it to the panel and got this Bluetooth media button from Amazon to control volume all that on the tablet. Satechi® Bluetooth Button Series (Media Button) for iPhone 6 Plus/6... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RM75NL0/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_7AAnvb1XTTY4S

Luckly the tablet can connect to the truck via Bluetooth and still lets me use the remote to control it. I also have a mobile hotspot that I pay $10 for 5gb of lte + unlimited data from tmobile. So I can take full advantage of the tablet. With a few apps on the tablet it works magic.

It would be nice but it is in deed to much hassle. What I did was use my nexus 7 as my head unit. I had a custom case that I took apart so I could velcro it to the panel and got this Bluetooth media button from Amazon to control volume all that on the tablet. Satechi® Bluetooth Button Series (Media Button) for iPhone 6 Plus/6... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RM75NL0/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_7AAnvb1XTTY4S

Luckly the tablet can connect to the truck via Bluetooth and still lets me use the remote to control it. I also have a mobile hotspot that I pay $10 for 5gb of lte + unlimited data from tmobile. So I can take full advantage of the tablet. With a few apps on the tablet it works magic.

That's a good idea with the tablet. I've got an iPad that is WiFi only. Ever give consideration for using the OnStar's 4g & purchasing one of their packages? I haven't looked into them, so I have no idea on the pricing.

That's a good idea with the tablet. I've got an iPad that is WiFi only. Ever give consideration for using the OnStar's 4g & purchasing one of their packages? I haven't looked into them, so I have no idea on the pricing.

I thought about it but in sure the way I'm doing it is cheaper. I have unlimited data with that line but only 5gb of lte. Plus tmobile now has roll over data and no data charge on some music apps.

Archived