new member and a question

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to GM/Chevy products. I've always had Fords and Toyota trucks, but 2 years ago bought a 2006 Suburban 2500 and have been very impressed with it. I'm now needing a fullsize truck as my dad has taken over my other truck, and I'm looking at the 2500 HD series, 4x4, 4 door with 6 seats.

My question is - budget is 15-20K. I've been all over auto trader within a reasonable distance, and browsed the local dealers in the surrounding 100 miles or so. I really would like to buy local so I can look at the vehicle myself.

This truck will be used to haul wood occasionally, haul people regularly, make bi-weekly trips to see the family (about 70 miles one way). Some occasional farm work also.

Most trucks I can find in that price range are either 10-12 years old, or have 200,000+ miles on them. Reliability is a big issue to me and I don't mind paying more for it.

Question for you experts is: Is it wise to spend that much money on a 10-12 year old truck? Are the big GM/Chevys be reliable for 15-20 years for regular use?

I'm familiar somewhat with the 6.0 vortec, but are there engines/models that I should steer clear of?

Thanks much, I'm looking forward to reading more posts and learning.

Archived