2015 HD Tire Size Change

I have a 2015 GMC 3500 SRW Crew Cab SLT 4x4 Z71 with the snow plow prep and 6.0 engine. I purchased the truck to haul a cab-over camper. The stock tires are LT 265/70R18 on the cast aluminum rims. The camper is very heavy and is maxing out the rated capacity of the tires which is 3525lbs or 7050lbs on the rear axle. I am considering upgrading to the only tire size "recommended" by tire manufacturers for this truck and rims, the LT275/70R18's which are rated to carry 3640lbs or 7280lbs per axle. The new tires will only add 1/2" to the diameter so GMC dealer says speedometer will be fine but it adds 1" to overall width of tire. Any issues with this upgrade that will allow me to carry a little more weight and sleep better at night? Will these fit OK? Any adverse effects on other drive systems?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2015 GMC 3500 SRW Crew Cab SLT 4x4 Z71 with the snow plow prep and 6.0 engine. I purchased the truck to haul a cab-over camper. The stock tires are LT 265/70R18 on the cast aluminum rims. The camper is very heavy and is maxing out the rated capacity of the tires which is 3525lbs or 7050lbs on the rear axle. I am considering upgrading to the only tire size "recommended" by tire manufacturers for this truck and rims, the LT275/70R18's which are rated to carry 3640lbs or 7280lbs per axle. The new tires will only add 1/2" to the diameter so GMC dealer says speedometer will be fine but it adds 1" to overall width of tire. Any issues with this upgrade that will allow me to carry a little more weight and sleep better at night? Will these fit OK? Any adverse effects on other drive systems?

Thanks!

You need a bigger truck, a dually perhaps. Going to a higher load rating tire DOES NOT change the rear axle capacity or payload of the vehicle. Sure, does it maybe provide you with a sense of security that the tire can handle the max weight the truck is rated for over the stock rubber? Sure. But, there is no change in the engineered payload ratings by changing tires. Your door tag should put you at a rear payload of 4100-4300lbs if I am not mistaken. Sounds like you have a big ass slide in camper A GM dually is 9750lbs at the rear axle diesel and 9825lbs gas.

Just FYI, a 275/70/18 is only .55" taller and .39" wider than the stock 265/70/18. They'll fit just fine, and you won't notice any changes in drive-ability. The load ratings and debate over the extreme weight of your camper are a different issue...

Archived