Lighting/wiring guys, I need your help!

So I had this plan right? I ordered some cheap LED driving lights, about $23 nothin fancy. I ordered the cargo lamp LED bed light harness. My idea was to wire these lights up as backup lights.

it was foolproof!

Ah but never underestimate a fool.. or.. overestimate? Whatever.

At any rate, I didn't account for the fact that the cargo light cannot be used in reverse in k2s. I know on my old 03 I could use my cargo lamp any time in any gear at any speed. Not the case here.

So my thought is.. wire them to pull off the reverse lights of the truck.

But will that cause the bcm to flag voltage problems on the reverse light bulbs?

Also, I DO want to continue to use them with the cargo lamp switch so that I can hook up trailers at night, or in a shop, or any place I need more light.

So my thought was.. run a power wire down from the reverse light (well, probably at the junction block where I'm already working) put a diode on it and a diode on the LED bed light harness, that way voltage only flows IN on the positive wires.

But if the bed light harness and the reverse lights come on at the same time, won't that over-voltage the driving lights? (My brain can't seem to wrap my head around that one.)

The TLDR of this is:

How to get power from 2 sources to power my reverse lights, how to avoid making the bcm angry by pulling voltage from reverse lights.

Any ideas or insight is helpful!

If you simply jump the cargo light circuit with the back up light circuit at the BCM (4 inches maybe) you will have everything on with either circuit. That's what I'm going to do.

That sounds perfect really. That would keep the cargo lamp independent, but allow it to work in reverse..

There a thread on this somewhere? I've never jumped anything on the bcm. The idea makes me nervous really. But a lot of people here seem to be doing it.

That sounds perfect really. That would keep the cargo lamp independent, but allow it to work in reverse..

There a thread on this somewhere? I've never jumped anything on the bcm. The idea makes me nervous really. But a lot of people here seem to be doing it.

I posted the colors from someone else...look for it in my posts and if you cant find it I'll look tomorrow.

Archived