Video on SD card

Qnx... isn't that the OS that RIM used to use and was reluctant to shed? Maybe a good choice ten years ago, but not today.

Upgrade to a more modern OS then lots of things are free, Both current and future. Stay in an old architecture and you are doomed.

Funny thing is that they wrote most of this as custom code, I'm sure. Why would someone ever write these apps, they are all out therE, we use them every day on other devices.

Qnx... isn't that the OS that RIM used to use and was reluctant to shed? Maybe a good choice ten years ago, but not today.

Upgrade to a more modern OS then lots of things are free, Both current and future. Stay in an old architecture and you are doomed.

Funny thing is that they wrote most of this as custom code, I'm sure. Why would someone ever write these apps, they are all out therE, we use them every day on other devices.

QNX is still a good embedded realtime OS. Sure, you could shove Android in there, and some companies do. The company I work for happens to do just that, and its in some car lines now. That said, when you have a device like this, and you are looking to keep CPU and other HW costs in check because every penny counts (GM's unofficial mantra), a microkernel OS like QNX is the way to go. Especially when there is the QNX car platform that gives you a lot of integration functionality for "free", so I do not believe it the backend stuff is custom code. But just because you have the tools doesn't mean you know how to use them effectively, which leads us the terrible UI and overall performance issues.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/154240-playing-videos-on-mylink-intellilnk/?p=1431310

I followed the steps in post#60 in the above link, worked great. I experienced a bit of freezing/lag but that is due to the frame rates being too high from gopro videos I had. Otherwise every other video works perfect. Hope this helps.

Android is already being plagued with malware and other unfavorable software exploits. Do you want your car opened up to that? I don't.

Also, GM needs to control what apps they allow in the car, as anything that overly distracts the driver could very well be their liability. Using a service to hack in other features on the other hand is YOUR liability in the end. Probably why GM hasn't tried to put an end to it.

But just because you have the tools doesn't mean you know how to use them effectively, which leads us the terrible UI and overall performance issues.

Bingo.

I suspect (not knowing the exact system hardware in use) it's either underpowered hardware, terribly optimized software, or in typical GM fashion.... both.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

I've added a cable that I bought online for about $50 it let's me watch video in motion.

Thing Is, I can't download videos on another SD card. I don't know what format I used on the first one. When I figure it out, I'll post it