Having Problems with your Fullsize SUV Liftgate?

There is a recall out for the 2015 Tahoe Fullsize SUV liftgate actuator (may be a GM recall and apply to all fullsize SUVs). Some early 2015 builds had a problem with the liftgate partially opening then closing right-away, a faulty actuator could have been a contributor to this. This recall changes out the actuator if you are having the problem or not. Recall title and number as stated on the service invoice; Power Liftgate Inoperable, recall number 14300. BTW, Onstar will report recalls to the dealer during monthly diagnostics.

Looked up the part, it fits the Chevy, GMC, and Cadillac.

Edited by The Zip
  • Sad 1

• 4 years later...

i HAVE A 2014 Yukon THAT JUST LAST WEEK (8/24/2019) BEGAN DOING THE SAME THING.  Do you know if it was actually the acuator that causes it to open partially and then clos automatically?  Thanks

On 8/28/2019 at 7:17 AM, Hup1Psh said:

Do you know if it was actually the acuator that causes it to open partially and then clos automatically?  Thanks

Back when I made this comment, it should have been in quotation marks because the first paragraph were not my words.  I did look up the recall number and it applied throughout all of GM fullsize SUVs.  To answer your question, I would say yes it was the actuator per GM.  Is it still accurate over four years later, you would have to look that up.  If it’s not an expensive cost, I would give the actuator a shot, you can’t break something that’s already broken.  Might even work.  Keep in mind, this recall was for a generation four SUV, you have a generation three.  Make sure the part will fit before you buy. 

Edited by The Zip
misspelling

I paid about $40.00 for each but their is a cheaper option that Auto Zone was out of. Took about 15 minutes to change; pretty simple.  Their is a good video on youtube.   Best of luck.

Usually neighborhood shops like Auto Zone is 30% higher than online only auto parts joints.  I checked RockAuto and the strut is going for about 15 bucks.  Think I'll pick up a couple.  BTW that actuator was about 130 bucks.

Edited by The Zip
added info

• 2 months later...
19 hours ago, Christie said:

I hv a 2015 GMC Yukon Denali and My lift gate opens on its own when I walk near the vehicle I’m scared it’s going to pin my children between the lift gate and garage door. It does This more times than not. 

I believe the 2015i (mid yr models) had the leg kick open tailgate, not even sure if the fullsize SUVs had that option.  You may have a 2015i with that option and the sensor could be out of alignment.  Can't really see how something like this could happen without a sensor to activate.  May be worth contacting the dealer and asking some questions.  But with saying that, my tailgate stops if it feels resistance going up or down, try it and check it out.  May give you some comfort in knowing it stops if a kid does get behind it.