Hello,  I am new to this Fourm.   I have a few GM spcific Audio Questions.  I am looking to Upgrade the stock stereo :chevy: .  Here is a combo that I am thinking about:

Head unit: Pioneer Deh 77

h130DEHP77Ddmt.jpeg

Front Doors:

Boston Acoustics RC620's

RC620.JPG

Rear Pillars: Boston 746's

746.JPG

OR

Boston FX7's

FX7.JPG

Both Powered off of a 50 x 4 amp.

Later I intentd to add a sub box and Class D amp.

What do You think of this Combo?  Sound Good?  What would you change?

I am open to sugestions.

Thanks

Eric

• 3 weeks later...

Not a bad set up. I have done the system in my truck, with an Alpine 7874 which I will be upgrading soon to a clarion pro audio head unit soon.

I am running Alpine Type R in the front doors, and instead of replacing the 4X6's I installed a set of 4X10's in the rear pockets, much better sound from the rear. I am running them off of a kicker 150.4 and it powers them nicely.

I have added a fosgate punch amp 600 watts which is powering 2 10 inch fosgate punch subs, in a dual box that sets under the rear seat.

This is by no means a high end system, but does everything that I need it to do.

Firemedic :cheers:

I would go with the plates in the rear doors.

It will sound amazing either way though.

And if you ever do add a woofer or two...You will look for exuses to drive around. :chevy:

Have fun with the install! It's half the fun. :cheers:

And if you ever do add a woofer or two...You will look for exuses to drive around.

Hell I already do.

I wish someone else had a 1.5 din head unit. The main reason for the Pioneer is the size. In other vehicals, I have lost many systems. Most of the time It was because they could see it wasn't factory.

I am looking for the best Factory looking sound.

I was looking around and I am having a hard time finding somewhere that is out of sight but still has air to cool to mount the amps.

Any body have a nice stealth setup?

instead of replacing the 4X6's I installed a set of 4X10's in the rear pockets, much better sound from the rear.

Will 4x10s fit or did you hav to cut some sheet metal?

I haven't pulled the interior out yet, so I don't know what the hole looks like.

Thanks

Eric

I don't know what you consider "stealth"...But here is what I have in my ex-cab:

-MB Quart components in the front doors

-Infiniti 4x6 plates in the rear doors

-2 10" Kicker Comp VRs under the rear seat

-Fosgate 700s driving the subs

-Fosgate 500x driving the mids and tweets

And I left the factory head unit in. You can't tell its a monster until you get happy with the noise knob...Then you get teeth rattlin bass, and hair splitting mids and highs.

I love it, and no-one is the wiser because I use the Delco stocker HU.

And I left the factory head unit in.

REALLY. So the stock speakers are that bad? I take it you are running high level inputs to the amps? How is the Clarity?

Also with tat much power how does the alternator do on rainy nights?

The stock speakers are worse than Wal-Mart brand. Yes, they are that bad.

I have AMAZING clarity, but I have a lot of power, and I was pretty anal about my wiring to avoid alternator whine...You know...Running the speaker wires down one side, and power down the other.

As for the alternator, I know a guy, and he rebuilt mine to 175 amp...So it does fine.

Oh yeah, I also have a 1 farad capacitor in there. That helps a lot as well.

Here is a thread with pics of the amps, and subs before I put it all back together.

Oh...The amps that I have are adjustable for mids/bass levels...And the door speakers have their own crossovers to take care of unwanted signals.

I just used line-output-converters to change from the factory speaker outputs, to the RCA connections that the amps used.

Hope this helps.

Nice looking install. Where did you get the box? will it fit a 97 Ext?

I am very Anal when it comes to wireing.

I have a boat running about 700 watts from three amps. There is about 50 lbs. of copper powering this system.(long grounds due to boat being fiberglass).

Wire size and routing is very important in a boat that runs off of a deep cycle battery. You can hear everything bad because there is no engine unning to mask white noise.

Eric

Nice looking install. Where did you get the box? will it fit a 97 Ext?

I am very Anal when it comes to wireing.

I have a boat running about 700 watts from three amps. There is about 50 lbs. of copper powering this system.(long grounds due to boat being fiberglass).

Wire size and routing is very important in a boat that runs off of a deep cycle battery. You can hear everything bad because there is no engine unning to mask white noise.

Eric

I got the box from a local stereo shop, they had several just sitting there. I don't know if it would fit in a 97, but most local shops will put one together for you for around 100-150 smackers..(sans subs, of course.)

And yeah...I know about boat installs too....They are a royal pain.

Adding amps, and a Kicker Solo to the ole Emerald. Fun night...I think I learned a few new words getting to some of the wiring.

dontfit.jpg

No, I had some rough times with a Baja....It's an Emerald (28'). Got the Merc 454 in it. Fit and finish are a little better than the Baja...In my opinion. It's also a bit cheaper.

EMC....That would explain you being anal about the wiring. :smash:

My best bud was an EMC. He just retired last year.

I don't have kids....Need a wife for that. So no need to save for their college. :D

Archived