Need some Recommendations-69 c/10

3f7d5242541b5a425db6301ab50dfa43.jpg

Here is a Truck I picked it is all original as far as I know.. Uts a 6 cyl manual shift 3 speed on Tree... But my idea is maybe a swap to a modern Ls so I cam have a good reliable transportation. So I am looking for comfort & realizability but I dont want to spend a fortune to do it. I am real handy so I figured I would DIY most of work. But I was hoping thag sone of you who hve been down this Roan van suggest:

1. Engine choice & Transmission options.

2. Rear end

3. Brakes

4. Suspension

5. Open to also suggestions..

ImolaB8

• 4 weeks later...

Unless you really want to go high tech/high horsepower, you are in luck.

Just about everything from the 1960s and 70s will bolt right on.

A small block with a carburetor and a TH-400 or TH-350 will slide right in. Upgrade to a HEI ignition and even a bolt on TBI if you want and it can be pretty trouble free.

Your rear gear is likely a 3.90:1 due to the 6 cylinder. If you look around, you can find a similar year with coil springs and a V-8 that will have a 3.23 or 3.08 rear. It will bolt right up. The TH-350 should be the same length as your 3 sod, so the driveshaft will fit. The yoke(fwd joint) on the drive shaft will need to be changed to match the auto.

A disc brake/power steering front clip from a similar body style and on into the mid 70s will bolt right in.

I did this with a 1966, so I'm not tossing out BS. I put the motor, tranny, and front clip from a 1976 van on my '66. It was all done on the cheap, at my house. I did have a lot of contacts for parts as I was heavy into dirt track cars at the time, so parts were plentiful and cheap from my racing buds.

It really depends on how hard you're willing to look and work.

• 1 year later...
On 3/9/2016 at 10:03 PM, 2007SierraGMC said:

3f7d5242541b5a425db6301ab50dfa43.jpg

Here is a Truck I picked it is all original as far as I know.. Uts a 6 cyl manual shift 3 speed on Tree... But my idea is maybe a swap to a modern Ls so I cam have a good reliable transportation. So I am looking for comfort & realizability but I dont want to spend a fortune to do it. I am real handy so I figured I would DIY most of work. But I was hoping thag sone of you who hve been down this Roan van suggest:

1. Engine choice & Transmission options.

2. Rear end

3. Brakes

4. Suspension

5. Open to also suggestions..

ImolaB8

Willwood and CPP, BAER all make rear disc conversions and you can get front discs from a 72+

Suspension will depend on how you drive it, Heidts, QA1, Porterbuilt, CPP and many others have a ton of options for you. 

Not sure where you live but you can get a used LQ4/LQ9 complete engine and harness for ~$1600, not sure what you'll have to do for a driveshaft though.

• 5 months later...

Call me crazy, but if you can handle a little basic maintenance, it doesn't get much more reliable than a stovebolt 6.  If the compression and oil pressure are good, I'd say give it a tune-up, convert the points over to some type of electronic ignition, do a basic carb rebuild, and drive that little 6 until it starts wheezing.  That might take a lot longer than you think!

About 10 years ago I bought a 65 Chevy truck from a friend of mine. He went to the salvage yard and bought the engine,transmission, completed with wiring harnesses computer and all out of a suburban. He got a AC- Heat after market came with vents and all in a kit. It was a real pleasure to drive. I was going to change it to a 6 speed stick, then I happen across a cherrie 65 elcamino.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk