Mounting a below rail tool chest without drilling holes

jup06

I figured this would be the best place to ask since you 5th wheel guys tend to have chest type boxes. Have you ever seen a commercial system or good method for securing a chest type box to the tie-downs or any other non-destructive way of anchoring these boxes?

How is drilling two holes in the bed destructive? I have a small box (that technically goes on the side of the bed) up against the cab and it's sized perfectly. I don't need a full size box nor do I want to lose so much space.

Just make sure to prep the drilled area to prevent rust and you're good to go.

I have installed my below the rail box in my last three trucks using heavy duty zip ties........

Attach an anchor ring to each side of the tool box (be sure to check for interference inside the box) then simply zip tie to the lower load rings in the bed.

I installed the anchor rings on the tool box 10-12" higher than but even with the lower bed rings so there is some downward force applied when cinching down the zip ties.

Position the zip tie so that the locking tab passes through the lower bed ring from front to rear, keeping the tab close to the bed ring. This will provide a good mechanical advantage when tightening the tie.

I have used one zip tie per side without issue. You can simply add an additional tie to each side for added safety.

Parts were purchased at Lowe's

IMG_3643_zpsgg7cuy1j.jpg

IMG_3640_zps4pc8stuu.jpg

How is drilling two holes in the bed destructive? I have a small box (that technically goes on the side of the bed) up against the cab and it's sized perfectly. I don't need a full size box nor do I want to lose so much space.

Just make sure to prep the drilled area to prevent rust and you're good to go.

Any chance you have pic of your setup? I've been looking for a small box for my bed, but really haven't wanted to commit to a full size box. Thanks!

Archived