What does the C & K in C/K or like K1500 mean??

The C/K part isn't so bad but what the 1500, 2500 and 3500 mean is getting more complicated all the time. It used to represent payload capacity of 1/2, 3/4 and 1 TON, but it is really only a relative comparison between vehicles now (and GM even says so on their website). For instance, my 2000 K2500 Crew Cab has a payload of approximately 1.5 tons; twice 3/4 ton.

I've never seen anything that suggests that the "C" or "K" are abbreviations for anything. In fact, the Suburban used some different letters for a while.(R instead of C, and V instead of K). And GMC and Chev didn't always use the same prefix.

I respectfully suggest that it is not I but the previous poster that has not read accurately. I'm fully aware that:

C=2WD

K=2WD

The last question was whether the "C" and "K" were abbreviations, not simply code letters (i.e. C = Conventional). :cheers:

I respectfully suggest that it is not I but the previous poster that has not read accurately. I'm fully aware that:

C=2WD

K=2WD

The last question was whether the "C" and "K" were abbreviations, not simply code letters (i.e. C = Conventional). :cheers:

Count the points of the letter and which way they are oriented: C points to two rear drive wheels, K points to two front and two rear drive wheels. I don't know where this came from, but it has been running around in my mind since the '80s.

I respectfully suggest that it is not I but the previous poster that has not read accurately.  I'm fully aware that:

C=2WD

K=2WD

Count the points of the letter and which way they are oriented: C points to two rear drive wheels, K points to two front and two rear drive wheels. I don't know where this came from, but it has been running around in my mind since the '80s.

That's as good a possibility as any.

Archived