Headlight help. Taking them apart.

Check with fastheadlights.com. They'll hook you up, and they can answer all your questions. The owner is active on the boards here too.

How did you heat it?

That my friend is the part that takes real balls. You stick them in the Oven at around 250 degrees for 10-15 mins (maybe less). No I am not pulling your leg you actually stick them in the oven, freaky right? *Do not take my word on temp or time always always check exacts before even thinking about attempting this.

You can try a heatgun and with a lot more effort and prying it may work but the 'pros' use an oven, it works because the sealent / jbweld melts or softens at a lower tempurature. I am not the type to shy away from working on or doing mods but I am pretty sure my testicles would retract into my body the entire time it was in the oven if I was to do this, I just bought new headlamps which was a lot easier if more expensive lol.

How do you put it back together though once you bake them off?

You have to heat up the permaseal and scrape it all out of the channel. Then apply a silicone/sealant and clamp the lights back together.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

The lights are sealed with butyl sealing glue. This video will give you the idea of what it takes to do the job properly.

They use Morimoto Retro Rubber Butyl Glue. I've ordered some but haven't used it yet, so I can't vouch for how well it works. I figure butyl is butyl, so it should work fine.

With a little searching you might find something more GM specific but the process is the same for all sealed lights.

i used a heat gun to open mine. i felt i had more control over the specific areas that needed to be heated unlike the oven method that heats the whole headlight and i didnt wanna take the chance of overheating and melting the lens. i sealed mine back up with the TRS/morimoto butyl and it sealed fine. the strips are a little thick so i got them as thin as i could inside the channels, heated them up and re-clamped them.

Archived