DR44 AC Delco Alternator with bent terminal post

01burban

Question

I have a new AC Delco Alternator DR44 that was shipped to me by the owner. FedX was nice enough to beat the crap out of it while in transport and ended up bending the terminal post. I installed it and it seems to run fine but my question is.... What is behind the terminal post? anything important connected to it on the back side that needs to be opened up and inspected, or is it just a simply metal post connect that if it works then its fine??

pic attached to show damage/angle of the terminal postpost-88547-0-66395300-1472045851_thumb.jpg

post-88547-0-66395300-1472045851_thumb.jpg

6 answers to this question

That is normally attached to the voltage regulator. I think if you try to bend it back, the regulator might bust open. First time you drive in the rain will be the end of it's output.

If it were me, I'd call the company that sold it to me, and get an exchange.

If it's working fine, and nothing is cracked inside, no harm in running it that way.

Ok from what I understand, in 07 GM has moved the regulator from the ALT to somewhere in the trucks electrical control unit so I assuming there is no regulator for this Alternator??? I applied some strong pressure on it to bend it back but it didn't want to move so I let it stay the way it is. Seems stable and nothing rattles or appears loose. Runs nice... improved my idle and made a smoother acceleration also, more importantly cured my strobe light effect with my pulsing lights thru-out the truck (07 suburban z71).

Whats the deal about water???? should I toss a cup of water on it and see what happens?

The original owner bought it from GM and didn't install it but yet can't return it so he sold it to me for 1/2 the cost.

Ahh, yeah you're right - ECM controlled output now. Forgot everything has a computer these days ...

In that case it may connect to the rectifier inside. Never been in these newfangled computer-controlled alternators, so I couldn't tell you for sure. Just going off past experience with older stuff.

Only way to know how bad the damage is, is split the case & look. DON'T dump water on it.

If water gets in anything electronic, it's done for in most cases. Instantly. Salt water is even worse, if you live where they salt the roads in winter.

If it's working, I'd just leave it be.

EXCELLENT vid there, Duelin - thanks! :thumbs:

Man, sad how GM has every component built so it's just about unserviceable. That rectifier sounds like a total nightmare to remove. Thanks GM. :mad:

To the OP: after watching that vid, I wouldn't worry about the bent stud. Doesn't look like it bent far enough to damage the regulator, and the important components of the rectifier are a fair distance away from it. I think you'll be fine.

However, if you can return it, I would, just to be safe.

Archived