Looking to purchase a used utv 4x4. Hoping to spend as little as possible. Will be used for hauling wood, work around property and some trail riding. If top speed was around 40 mph I think that would be ok so a midsize should work. Ranger 500 maybe? I want something with bench seat. Does yamaho rhino 660 have buckets only? Can it be coverted to a bench? I am on a tight budget. Are the older ranger 500 - 2004-2005 ok?

• 2 years later...

I realize I am reviving a rather old thread, but some might get some good from the response.

There are many avenues to finding a good UTV for working around the property and trail use.  I like https://www.tractorhouse.com for my searches.   I recently picked up a good John Deere TX Gator UTV this way.  A dealer about 70 miles from me picked up a batch of these from John Deere recently that were used as utility vehicles at several JD plants in the area.  Mine is only a year old, had only 168 hours on it and included full warranty.  Got it for almost $2500 cheaper than the cost for a similar equipped new model.   Dealer even included a front brush guard on it.  600 lb payload in the box and 1000 lb towing capacity.  And while only a 2wd model, it has differential lock and came with the better high performance all purpose tires and I have yet to have it not go over every part of our rural property with ease, including some pretty steep grades.  Lots of terraces on the property and the Gator has no problem negotiating them. Definitely a very cost effective purchase.

The county I live in has now authorized UTV/ATV use by everyone on rural gravel roads in the county with a permit from the Sheriff's Dept.  Top allowed speed of 35 MPH, lights on with tail/brake lights.  Since i live rural this makes for some fine running around our area whenever we like with the Gator.  Can use it on the road to go to various hunting and fishing areas around me.

Edited by Cowpie