2011 2500hd steering link

Hello, I am new to this forum. I recently traded in my 2008 f150 lariat for a 2011 Silverado LT 2500hd 4x4. My truck has an 8 inch lift on 37s. When I got it. There was no steering stabilizer installed. I purchased and installed a steering stabilizer. My issue is a shake in the steering around 35-40mph. It does it when on the brakes and the entire truck shakes. Just like the death wobble. The stabilizer helped tone it down a bit. I crawled under the truck and noticed the bushing in the center link where the pitman arm goes through it, seems to have a bit of play in it. I believe this center link with the bushing is called an isolated center link? Is it possible to replace the center link with a non isolated version and get rid of the bushing? Or can the bushing itself be replaced? I love the truck. Shake is my only issue. 25a232512c17feb33ca3b6f24ddf5dd5.jpg

Picture is from when the truck had 38x15.50 on it. Took them off a week after I got it and installed 37x12.50 terra grappler g2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like warped brake rotors to me. If its not warped rotors, to remedy your front steering/suspension look up these guys online. http://www.cognitomotorsports.com/

Look under your year and model and look at "steering upgrades" I would upgrade bushings and tie-rods for sure, and definitely install the pitman and idler support kit.

Edited by vucelick

Sounds like warped brake rotors to me. If its not warped rotors, to remedy your front steering/suspension look up these guys online. http://www.cognitomotorsports.com/

Look under your year and model and look at "steering upgrades" I would upgrade bushings and tie-rods for sure, and definitely install the pitman and idler support kit.

Front pads were done, but not rotors. I'm going to pull the rotors and cut them at work. The rear rotors and pads I will be replacing they are almost gone. I am planning for the support kit. I have to make sure I have all the parts to do everything the first time. The truck came from New York so there's a little rust. No bubbling or anything. All surface. But still, makes it a little harder. The shake is driving me crazy. At times I can feel it accelerating. Other times I can't. 80% of the time it does it braking. Other 20% it doesn't. Possibly thinking of doing new rotors all around instead of cutting them.

Possibly thinking of doing new rotors all around instead of cutting them.

If the rotors are the problem, cutting them will work fine. Save yourself a few bucks and possible more aggravation (I've seen brand new rotors that were warped).

DEWFPO

• 1 month later...

I installed new calipers, rotors and pads. My shake is now gone when I brake. Around 35-40 sometimes I can feel in the steering wheel that it's wanting to shake. Is the rubber bushing in the center link replaceable? Someone has replaced the idler arm prior to me buying it. I'm planning to replace the bushing if able, Pitman arm, and wanting to do HD tierods as well.

• 1 year later...

I ended up replacing the center link to a non isolated model, new pitman arm, and new inner and outer tie rods. My gearbox is sloppy and has developed a leak. A new red head gearbox should be here Thursday. That should fix the rest of my issues. I need to rotate my tires too. The centerlink and pitman arm were shot and replacing them helped a lot. The rest of it hopefully is in the old gear box.

Ok awesome I was curious cause my truck loves to wander down the road. What brand did you use for the center link? I think I'm going to put a new center link pitman and idler arm and brace them and see how it work. 8k ago I installed new ball joints and tie rods so hopefully that'll fix it! 

Factory gm center link. I ordered it for a 3500hd. The 3500 did not have the rubber bushing that isolates the center link from the pitman arm. It’s designed to dampen road vibration. Well the rubber wears out and you can’t just change the bushing. You have to replace center link itself. So I did with one that did not have the bushing. All the other parks are moog. Gearbox is rebuilt red head. Supposed to have larger bearings over stock. So we will see. My truck wanders a little too. But I have 14 inch wide wheels with 37s. A lot of wheel and tire.

Ok yeah I'm rebuilding all my steering right now so that's what ill do if it helped! I think my gearbox is still good well I hope it is. And your truck looks awesome! I wish I got a black truck but I bought mine for 13k out the door with 180k miles. 2013 2500hd. I got 35s on it right now but I'm gonna order cut out fender flares and try to stuff 37s under it. Here is it a year ago ive done a few more things to it 

Screenshot_2017-10-28-19-31-33.png