wireless phone / service

bassdog

My Cingular service is starting to suck. On my drive up to Maine last weekend my phone never rang or beeped to tell me I had voicemail, this was over an hours time frame.

I'm thinking about switching to Verizon, I've heard they have better coverage in New England.

What do you guys use for service and a phone?

Thanks guys

Bassdog, as a resident of Maine, I can brag about a lot of great things we have here, BUT . . . cellular coverage is not one of them. I wouldn't suggest you make a decision for a service provider based on coverage up here, cause they're all crappy. I use AT&T digital one rate . . . coverage in the Portland area is OK, any farther North & don't plan on a complete conversation without being disconnected at least once. It usually works OK if I'm heading south or in the larger metropolitan areas, otherwise it's sketchy.

TPN-

I frequently travel up to the Sebago area( parts north) and Winni to fish tournaments. I've had Cingular for a year now and I'm tired of missing calls and voice messages. I understand service is not great up there ( I get no service on Kezar Lake at all) and don't really expect much better reception by switching providers.

Usually the phone doesn't ring and I end up getting messages anywhere from 1/2 - 5 hours later, even though I have full service.

I appreciate your input :)

I drive from cape cod up to rangeley maine every weekend in the winter. I use At&t and have had really good reception...it gets spottty in some areas. However, I dont lie the local service...it takes anywhere from 30 sec to 2 min to connect to another at&t user at 5pm but maybe its my phone. Overall it is a far better service than cingular

I have AT&T Wireless (Seattle area). The service is horrible. Bad connections, horrible quality and a customer service center that blames it on the two-year old phone I'm using (I'm sorry, it must be your phone. I'd be happy to send you a new phone if you'd sign a contract).

As of this week, I've actually switched to OnStar. The cost is about the same on an annual basis, but the quality is superior. Since I don't need my phone as part of my work, its a great deal. That and I travel in remote areas quite often and the coverage is amazing.

I live in Maine and have had the best luck with Unicel. From York to Fort Kent, I've had good service. Of course if you get into some of the western mountains it gets a little spotty, but that's to be expected. Get an external antenna for your vehical and you're all set.

I'm signed up with Verizon. Wife and I got a decent deal on two phones and a Family rate plan (she expenses hers out to work anyway).

I got the LG VX10 phone... she got the free one with all the minutes :cheers:

Thinking about upgrading the phone, ring tones are awful and the volume is barely there. Anyone have any luck with any other phone?

• 4 weeks later...

I have Nextel

Used mostly north of the NYC and in the NYC area. Pretty decent coverage, I use the 'two way' most of the time vs. cellular since all of my co workers, and friends have nextel, only way to go if u have free two way (aka: direct connect) service.

During power outage service was In and Out initally then no service at all.

So far i am 'happy' with the service. Customer service calls are poor. Check w/ your coverage area to see what best fits ur needs and location.

Good luck !

John

well since no one chimed in with AT&T that is who I have.

No complaints I've gotten a new phone every year and never had to pay a dime.

Have a company plan that get's me 15% more minutes for the same cost plus 1000 weekend minutes.

All for a wimpy 30 bucks.

Happy with there service also.

• 1 month later...

Archived