Add remote start and backup camera to IOB

I have searched all over this forum for answers to my questions and I'm as confused as ever.  I just purchased a used 2016 GMC  Sierrra 1500 quad cab Elevation Edition. I want to add a few things that I'm amazed it didn't come with.  I've already been to dealership and they were not much help.  I want to add remote start, backup camera, and an Onyx Plus XM (using stock shark fin antenna).

1) Remote start- according to dealership and what I've read on here I need item # 22997089.  Anything else?  Intellilink or computer need flashed at dealership?

2) Backup camera- dealership parts guy says can't do.  I found a set up on infotainment.com that looks like OEM and will work but I have code IOB in glove box.  Replacing the IOB radio module scares the hell out of me.  What am I getting with this?  IO5? IO6? Will I still have the radio options I have now or better?  Will Onstar still work?  Warranty?  

3) Onyx Plus XM- I want to add this.  I already have one from my old truck.  I have it so I can move back and forth between my truck and my motorcycle while paying for only one service.  I want to use the factory shark fin antenna instead of adding another unsightly puck on the roof.  I've seen a fakra to SMB radio adapter on here.  Will this work without disrupting Onstar?  Where is a good place to mount the XM since the AUX port and power (lighter) are in center console?

One more question.  Whenever I use my turn by turn direction through Onstar or my cell phone, the directions are low volume.  How do I turn this up?  I tried auto volume but no luck.  Any good videos to help me navigate Intellilink?  That was two questions.  Thanks in advance.

On 1/10/2018 at 12:55 PM, Shovelshort said:

I have searched all over this forum for answers to my questions and I'm as confused as ever.  I just purchased a used 2016 GMC  Sierrra 1500 quad cab Elevation Edition. I want to add a few things that I'm amazed it didn't come with.  I've already been to dealership and they were not much help.  I want to add remote start, backup camera, and an Onyx Plus XM (using stock shark fin antenna).

1) Remote start- according to dealership and what I've read on here I need item # 22997089.  Anything else?  Intellilink or computer need flashed at dealership?

2) Backup camera- dealership parts guy says can't do.  I found a set up on infotainment.com that looks like OEM and will work but I have code IOB in glove box.  Replacing the IOB radio module scares the hell out of me.  What am I getting with this?  IO5? IO6? Will I still have the radio options I have now or better?  Will Onstar still work?  Warranty?  

3) Onyx Plus XM- I want to add this.  I already have one from my old truck.  I have it so I can move back and forth between my truck and my motorcycle while paying for only one service.  I want to use the factory shark fin antenna instead of adding another unsightly puck on the roof.  I've seen a fakra to SMB radio adapter on here.  Will this work without disrupting Onstar?  Where is a good place to mount the XM since the AUX port and power (lighter) are in center console?

One more question.  Whenever I use my turn by turn direction through Onstar or my cell phone, the directions are low volume.  How do I turn this up?  I tried auto volume but no luck.  Any good videos to help me navigate Intellilink?  That was two questions.  Thanks in advance.

We have some of this stuff at ADC Mobile - the camera interface will allow you to do up to six cameras if you want, as well as plugging in any HDMI device (to mirror phone, etc.): https://www.adcmobile.com/product/multi-camera-interface-for-gm-vehicles-w-iob-radios/

The remote start will be a universal unit, bit it's a pretty easy install and will work from factory fobs, aftermarket fobs or even your pone with a pretty cheap add-on module: https://www.adcmobile.com/product/flashlogic-data-module/

• 2 weeks later...

are wanting to stick wiff factory setups? factory remote starts run for 10 mins at a time, 20 mins max before you have to start wiff key. after market you get better range and longer runtime. back up camera you have many options, aftermarket radio, replace the rear view mirror wiff a backup camera added or find factory parts to plug into. don't know to much about XM don't have it up here so don't get to play around wiff it much.

• 2 months later...

I have been successful.  Let me fill you on how I accomplished this.  First I purchased the following from GM Parts House online;  remote start (22997089), back-up camera (84062896), and tailgate handle (84016231).  

I installed the camera first.  I removed the old tailgate latch along with it's wiring.  There are several YouTube videos on how to do this.  I put the camera into the new handle with 2 screws (not included) and attached to tailgate plugging the two plugs into their appropriate places (keyless tailgate lock and the camera).  I ran the wire the same as the one I removed and plugged it into the same outlet as the other under the rear of the truck.  It helps to drop the spare to do this.  Done.

I installed the remote start next.  This was surprisingly easy.  Kit comes with hood latch, wire harness, two key fobs, and activation code.  I replaced the old hood latch with the new (remove large plastic cover, remove latch with two bolts, replace with new latch).  Next I was looking at how I would run the harness when I noticed a female plug lying right next to the latch (see picture).  The plug off the new latch mated right up with it.  How could I be so lucky after reading on here from others on how to run the new harness?  It was all there already installed!  I replaced the plastic cover and was done.

A few days later I got it into my local GMC dealership who flashed the radio computer to activate both the remote start and back-up camera and they worked!  All together with tax the dealership charged me $193 to do the programming.  I already had the activation code they needed for the remote start but they had to call TCSC to get one for the camera and the download they needed to flash computer with.  

All in all this was super painless and pretty affordable.  I now have these two options and am pretty happy.

IMG_0210.JPG

Edited March 15 by Shovelshort

Archived