2018 GMC Sierra with eAssist

SSchup

I had one for a weekend hated it you feel the engine start and stop with a pause/delay from the brake to the gas. It activates over 8mph. So coming down my street to back into my driveway coming to a stop to shift to reveres it goes to shut off then does a stop start. Backing up was all jacked up to felt like it was winding a toy car with resistance. Also a lot can’t be added to the truck. One being a center console. The jump seat houses a 24cell lithium ion battery. Just wasn’t for me at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that, what I kind of figured. Probably why they have it discounted so heavily. Also is this the technology for the new 2019's that will be standard with them?

I heard they will have the start-stop on all the new ones.

Kind of why I'm considering a 2018 in a few months, figure they will have some pretty deep discounts this Summer.  

1 hour ago, Jaychevy81 said:

I had one for a weekend hated it you feel the engine start and stop with a pause/delay from the brake to the gas. It activates over 8mph. So coming down my street to back into my driveway coming to a stop to shift to reveres it goes to shut off then does a stop start. Backing up was all jacked up to felt like it was winding a toy car with resistance. Also a lot can’t be added to the truck. One being a center console. The jump seat houses a 24cell lithium ion battery. Just wasn’t for me at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, SSchup said:

Thanks for that, what I kind of figured. Probably why they have it discounted so heavily. Also is this the technology for the new 2019's that will be standard with them?

I heard they will have the start-stop on all the new ones.

Kind of why I'm considering a 2018 in a few months, figure they will have some pretty deep discounts this Summer.  

Seems like you just had a rough experience getting situated with new technology (like most adults do), because you're used to things being a certain way.  I'm going to have to 100% disagree with JayChevy.  I personally have owned a 2017 E-assist Silverado since last July (w/ 33" 10-ply tires).  Before that was a 2016 LTZ z71 Midnight Edition.  Before that was a 2014 Silverado LT. 

I back up into my parking spot every single time, as we're required for work.  I've never had the engine shut off, unless I'm sitting on the brake for a significant amount of time like at a stop sign or stop light.  Even drove a 2018 Malibu rental that had the start/stop tech in it, same thing, worked smoothly.  It does take a day or so to get used to when it normally shuts off, but you pick up the timing pretty easily.

The jumpseat portion is most likely true, but no one has actually tried.  I do know that there are some fans under the jumpseat that cool the lithium battery, so it's most likely a no go.  Also the seat for the jumpseat is actually longer in the E-assist models compared to other models.  The engine's air intake is the only other option that you cannot modify without modifying where the coolant is located under the hood.  They moved the coolant to right behind the radiator so you cannot put the standard MIT tube or CAI's there without modifying the tubing or moving the coolant to a different location.

But don't forget, the LT E-assist comes with the 8-speed 5.3L setup, instead of the 5.3L 6 speed like ALL of the other LT/SLE models have.  I also can jump start my truck's battery w/ my lithium battery.  Pretty cool feature if you ask me.

From my experience, I spent $30k on the truck out the door.  Sold the stock wheels/tires, bought new wheels/tires, and re-installed all of my aftermarket parts from my 2016 Silverado (listed below).  I'm currently at $37k with all my mods (including tires and wheels) and I've converted my truck into a LTZ basically w/ a ton of other add-ons.  Way cheaper going this route than paying $45k for the upgraded models.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...