AFE Intake is super loud....2015i Yukon Denali

I installed the AFE GT Intake last night and am waiting on the BB Tune to come in tomorrow or Monday...

That being said, when starting off and a really low speeds and applying a little gas to accelerate this thing is really loud and obnoxious. When I am at speed 30,35,40+ MPH and accelerate is sounds aggressive and proper.

Is this normal? Will the BB Tune straighten out the low end noise?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OP - What AFE Model # intake do you have?  I only ask because I know recently AFE just came out with a model that is specific to the GM Full Size SUV’s (# 54-74110) versus using the one that also works on the Silverado/Sierra (#54-74104).

The airbox is a slightly different design that I’m sure contributes to a different level of sound.

Edited by CMoore711

I do have some experience with aFe filters. I used to race Arena-Cross a few years back in the Northwest Nationals. aFe gave me a free air filter for KTM 450 SX race bike. Kind of like a sponsor thing. I did not notice any difference in sound level or performance, but I kept using it anyway. One day, my race buddies and I decided to take our bikes to an ORV park. Had a great day of riding, and the bike performed very well. It was a particularly dusty day of riding. After we got back to the shop, I looked at the filter, and it has a lot of dust on it. I removed the aFe filter, and to my horror - the entire intake tube was coated with a thick layer of ultra find dust. You could write your name in the dust, and it felt gritty between your fingers. I cleaned the intake tube and took the carburetor apart to clean all the dust out of it. The aFe filter sealing surface was very clean -  it was not leaking air around the filter. I took the filter, put it back in the original box, and set it on the shelf. To this day its still sitting on the shelf in the garage. I went back to the OEM filter, and have never found any dust on the intake tube since. Street vehicles see a lot less dust than offroad vehicles, so it may not be an issue for your trucks.

Here is a great way to make sure your air filter is working: 

Remove the filter and put a smear of grease in the intake tube. Drive it around for a few months, and then take a look at the grease. Any dirt or dust will get stuck in the grease. 

This is the bike I ran that aFe filter on: 

PICT0147.JPG

Edited by starman8tdc