So im wanting to hopefully get a AK style rifle pretty soon. I've been doing some research and heard many things about the WASRs, Century, RAS47s etc. What do you guys think would be a good entry level rifle? Under $800? Or is that two low to get a decent rifle. I have fired an AK once or twice and not familiar with one like I am with ARs. Im not wanting to go into combat or for it to be my defense rifle, just something to plink around with and have fun. 

Probably whatever catches your eye. I have Norinco. Maadi, SAR and Vepr. The Vepr is the most accurate and the MAK 91 is next. My ARs are more accurate. Basically it depends on what you want.

MikeFoxLima: X2 on good advice. Milled is better than 1 mm stamped. RPK receivers are stamped and are 1.5 mm thick ; as a result, they are more accurate than the 1.0 thick. Some RPKs have a longer and heavier barrel also..

To the Chinese,  Russians and maybe others, the RPK with a 40 round magazine is used as what we call a SAW or squad automatic weapon.

The easiest way to increase AK accuracy, buy a dust cover with a rear sight which increases the sight radius for more accuracy.

Archived