Adding POWER FOLD tow mirrors

ron mexico75

Question

Was wondering if anyone that posts here can help me out? Have you ever done this conversion I’m looking to do?

Been looking at doing this for a while. Man it sure seems confusing… So many different codes, parts, Might be able to do it might not be able to do it depending on the year, etc.

I have a 2015 2500 HD LTZ crew cab. The build date on the door sticker is 8/14. Came with small mirrors. The mirrors do everything; heated courtesy light LED turn signal power folding memory position etc.

I contacted one of the OEM GM parts suppliers online that sell GM parts at a discounted price. I asked what the exact part numbers I needed were and any wiring harness is I might need.

This was the response I received below. Can anybody clarify this for me that knows based off of what I just said my truck is or that has done this on their own 2500?

RH door harness 84290982

LH door harness 84125561

LH mirror 84041609

RH mirror 84228892

Camper harness 23387133

In addition to all that it appears that the body control module needs programming along with the memory module. Being that you have a late built 2014 truck, this may not even work. The newer trucks are set up differently to accept the conversion. There are accessory mirrors that are similar to those mirrors but minus some of the features. They don't power fold but physically look the same. That kit number is 23372181 and is more likely to work. Any more questions feel free to ask/ call.

—————————————-

Now I checked with GM parts online.com which I’m sure a lot of you guys have heard of or even used. They responded with a non power folding part number as well. 23372181. I also called my local dealership parts department. They gave the same part number.

I am just not understanding why they’re not giving me the power folding part numbers if my existing mirrors are power fold. That one place that I posted the email response above is the only one out of like four places to give me the mirrors that are power fold. But even he says he’s not positive it will work. Has anyone ever done this or knows anybody that is on this?

I’m just not understanding the fact that my mirrors do everything that these tow mirrors do with the exception of the white back up lights and the amber running lights on the front side. However, I thought that’s what the new wiring harness is on each side was able to control. If I already have power fold then that should be in the harnesses as well as being programmed in the trucks BCM right?

Found this description on the Canadian gmaccessories site that is linked from my dealers webpage.. 

Improve the rearward field of vision of your vehicle with these Vertical Trailering Outside Rearview Mirrors in Black. These mirrors are designed to manually extend outward to create a wider field of vision than regular production mirrors, perfect for maneuvering a trailer or camper. Requires $300 additional door wiring harnesses and installation. Pre-MY15i models may require additional jumper harness 23387133. Contact dealer for additional details and pricing. Trailering Outside Rearview Mirrors, Black (Requires additional wiring)

23372182Add To Cart

You are likely in for some issues due to build date.  August 2014 is a very early 2015, and may actually have some 2014 "underpinnings".  Have you tried seeing if your selling dealer happens to have one of the mirrors you are wanting in stock for you to compare connectors? 
Have you looked at what is available to you on the American gmaccessories website? 

Found this description on the Canadian gmaccessories site that is linked from my dealers webpage.. 

Improve the rearward field of vision of your vehicle with these Vertical Trailering Outside Rearview Mirrors in Black. These mirrors are designed to manually extend outward to create a wider field of vision than regular production mirrors, perfect for maneuvering a trailer or camper. Requires $300 additional door wiring harnesses and installation. Pre-MY15i models may require additional jumper harness 23387133. Contact dealer for additional details and pricing. Trailering Outside Rearview Mirrors, Black (Requires additional wiring)
23372182Add To Cart   You are likely in for some issues due to build date.  August 2014 is a very early 2015, and may actually have some 2014 "underpinnings".  Have you tried seeing if your selling dealer happens to have one of the mirrors you are wanting in stock for you to compare connectors?  Have you looked at what is available to you on the American gmaccessories website? 

Hey… Thanks for responding to this. Seems very hard to get answers I guess it’s a very convoluted subject topic.

I’ve looked at several different sites and there are so many variations of the tow mirrors and part numbers that have been discontinued and then brought back a different part numbers it’s almost overwhelming.

The part numbers I posted above that came from my GM dealership that sells OEM parts at a reduced price is exactly what I’m looking for. He even said he’s not sure if it will work or not and that’s why he recommended the chrome tow mirrors that are not power folding but have all the other options.

READ ALL THIS, I ADDED POWER FOLDING TO MY DL8 1500.

you should only need to add the switch and the powerfold type mirrors

Hey just came back here to post some updated information I’m getting ready to copy and paste below. I’ll take a look at your link and read through it all. Thanks for chiming in on this as it seems very very difficult to get answers from anyone let alone definitive answers.

So here is the latest email I received from an aftermarket OEMGM parts supplier that I’ve been going back-and-forth with.

——————-

Part number 84041609 is listed as a passenger side mirror, for 2015 2500, or 3500 applications manufactured with option code DQS.

Part number 84228892 is listed as a passenger side mirror, for 2015 2500, or 3500 applications manufactured with option codes AFV, DQS, without option K40.

Per VIN 1GC1KWEG1FF191571 supplied the truck was manufactured with power folding mirrors, option code DL3. I apologize GM does not list a power folding towing mirror after the vehicle is manufactured.

We understand you want to add parts, options or accessories to your vehicle that were not original equipment on your vehicle when it was manufactured.

In order to supply you with the part numbers desired, we will require the VIN FROM a vehicle that was manufactured with the items in question.

(**NOT YOUR VEHICLES VIN**)

Without this VIN we will not be able to determine the correct part number you need.

Many of our customers have found a vehicle either at their local General Motors dealer or know someone that has vehicle that is equipped with the parts desired and have supplied us the VIN number from that vehicle.

We will help you in any way possible but we need a good VIN for the parts you want

The licensed GM parts catalog does not provide the part numbers necessary to add an option to a vehicle that was not originally manufactured with that option.

If the items are ordered, please note that they are special order, nonreturnable parts since the vehicle was not manufactured with these items.

Please keep in mind the parts will not be warrantied by us, or GM, since the parts in question are not original equipment parts on the VIN supplied.

Vehicle programming, or modification maybe required to add an option.

Please remember we do not have any way of telling if a part from another vehicle will fit your vehicle properly without modification to the part or to your vehicle.

Please research parts that are not original equipment on your vehicle to make sure they will fit your vehicle. No one wants to be stuck with parts that don't fit due to bad information.

I guess I didn't read your first post fully.

to upgrade from DQS from DL3 mirrors, you need the factory DQS with the memory built into them. (I did aftermarket ones)

the link I posted earlier will walk you though checking your door harness for the proper wires (may need to run one wire from under the hood for marker lights)

but, chances are for you, that it will be a "bolt in" situation

but, pgamboa is your man if you have any questions! he was there every step of the way for me, and many others!

• Like 1

I guess I didn't read your first post fully.

to upgrade from DQS from DL3 mirrors, you need the factory DQS with the memory built into them. (I did aftermarket ones)
the link I posted earlier will walk you though checking your door harness for the proper wires (may need to run one wire from under the hood for marker lights)

but, chances are for you, that it will be a "bolt in" situation

but, pgamboa is your man if you have any questions! he was there every step of the way for me, and many others!

Yeah no worries man. The more I post the more I get confused so I can only imagine other people joining in to read the thread!

But yes, that’s exactly what I want. The factory chrome power folding mirrors that have the white back up lights in the amber running lights on the front heated, memory and the red LED turn signal.

I plan to get OEM power fold mirrors along with a harness for each door. To my understanding from what I’ve been told, also the camper harness. Whatever that’s needed for I’m not sure but several parts sites have told me that is needed as well.

So are you stating that if I get OEM mirrors that at coded DQS, I should be good to go but with a BCM and/or memory module reflash?
  • Like 1

Yeah no worries man. The more I post the more I get confused so I can only imagine other people joining in to read the thread!

But yes, that’s exactly what I want. The factory chrome power folding mirrors that have the white back up lights in the amber running lights on the front heated, memory and the red LED turn signal.

I plan to get OEM power fold mirrors along with a harness for each door. To my understanding from what I’ve been told, also the camper harness. Whatever that’s needed for I’m not sure but several parts sites have told me that is needed as well.

So are you stating that if I get OEM mirrors that at coded DQS, I should be good to go but with a BCM and/or memory module reflash?

I’ve helped over 1000+ Members on GM-Trucks with this upgrade and glad you eventually found me. I saw your PM but want to reply here for visibility to others as well.

In short - YES! You can upgrade to power fold tow mirrors. You have power fold DL3 Mirrors now, you can most certainly to power fold tow mirrors.

I have seen it time and time again - Dealers advising customers of the path of losing power fold and memory features. Don’t be a victim to this. For some strange reason, the upgrade path that the dealers will take, will be to suggest the “Mirror Kit” - Part # 23372181 (chrome) / 23372182 (black) Mirrors. These are DPN - Non Power Fold Mirrors and will come as a kit, in one box. Don’t get these! You will lose power fold and memory!

You will to get the mirrors individually. You’ll want DQS Mirrors as opposed to DPN. Part #s are as follows:

DQS Power Fold - Chrome Towing Mirror
Part # 84228891 - Driver $520
Part # 84228892- Passenger (Gas) $520
Part # 84228894 - Passenger (Diesel - K40) $520

These prices I have set are prices if you order these directly from my GM Parts Supplier contact. Can provide if needed. He ships Fedex directly to you, out the door. $1040 for the pair. This price is also good for black textured caps or chrome. Either option, same price.

Ok - now that the mirrors and ability are out of the way... let’s talk about harnesses.

That’s what I build/sell. They are $285 for the set shipped anywhere in the US. I refund $100 of that if/when you send my your Factory harnesses (so I can do this for the next person).

This is all you’ll need.

In the +1000 members I’ve helped, none have needed any sort of programming. There have been a handful (maybe 3-4 that needed some workaround wiring) because she had a very strange oddball build Where power Fold didn’t work on the passenger side. Those 3-4 didn’t have power fold to begin with, so I don’t see that being an issue with yours.

Lastly - the additional Jumper harnesses, is called a “RZY Jumper”, part # 23387133 is only needed for all 2014 trucks and some early 2015. For these trucks, GM didn’t land (2) Tow Mirror lighting circuits in the door jamb. These are circuits that run under the hood and in a junction inside the cabin. One way to be 100% certain if you need this or not, is to inspect your door jamb/cabin side. You want to look for pins 9 and 11. If they are present, you WON’T need the RZY Jumper. If you do, be prepared for some additional work. I have videos for all this as well.

See pic for door jamb.

1a465d93ca1073ba19d8c642ab1bfa6f.png

Hope this helps. I’ll reply to your PM to let you know I’ve replied here as well.

Thanks,

Phil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve helped over 1000+ Members on GM-Trucks with this upgrade and glad you eventually found me. I saw your PM but want to reply here for visibility to others as well.  

In short - YES! You can upgrade to power fold tow mirrors. You have power fold DL3 Mirrors now, you can most certainly to power fold tow mirrors.

I have seen it time and time again - Dealers advising customers of the path of losing power fold and memory features. Don’t be a victim to this. For some strange reason, the upgrade path that the dealers will take, will be to suggest the “Mirror Kit” - Part # 23372181 (chrome) / 23372182 (black) Mirrors. These are DPN - Non Power Fold Mirrors and will come as a kit, in one box. Don’t get these! You will lose power fold and memory!

You will to get the mirrors individually. You’ll want DQS Mirrors as opposed to DPN. Part #s are as follows:

DQS Power Fold - Chrome Towing Mirror

Part # 84228891 - Driver $520

Part # 84228892- Passenger (Gas) $520

Part # 84228894 - Passenger (Diesel - K40) $520

These prices I have set are prices if you order these directly from my GM Parts Supplier contact. Can provide if needed. He ships Fedex directly to you, out the door. $1040 for the pair. This price is also good for black textured caps or chrome. Either option, same price.

Ok - now that the mirrors and ability are out of the way... let’s talk about harnesses.

That’s what I build/sell. They are $285 for the set shipped anywhere in the US. I refund $100 of that if/when you send my your Factory harnesses (so I can do this for the next person).

This is all you’ll need.

In the +1000 members I’ve helped, none have needed any sort of programming. There have been a handful (maybe 3-4 that needed some workaround wiring) because she had a very strange oddball build Where power Fold didn’t work on the passenger side. Those 3-4 didn’t have power fold to begin with, so I don’t see that being an issue with yours.

Lastly - the additional Jumper harnesses, is called a “RZY Jumper”, part # 23387133 is only needed for all 2014 trucks and some early 2015. For these trucks, GM didn’t land (2) Tow Mirror lighting circuits in the door jamb. These are circuits that run under the hood and in a junction inside the cabin. One way to be 100% certain if you need this or not, is to inspect your door jamb/cabin side. You want to look for pins 9 and 11. If they are present, you WON’T need the RZY Jumper. If you do, be prepared for some additional work. I have videos for all this as well.

See pic for door jamb.

1a465d93ca1073ba19d8c642ab1bfa6f.png

[/url]

Hope this helps. I’ll reply to your PM to let you know I’ve replied here as well.

Thanks,

Phil

Wow, I cannot thank you enough for posting all of that information!!! I feel like I’ve been digging for 2 weeks and just struck gold!!! Seriously.....thank you!! I just don’t have the time to do this project I’m so busy. I was just going to get everything and take it into the dealer and have them do it while I’m working.

Do you think they’ll install the harnesses you make or should I just buy the GM part number harnesses? That place that sent me that email that I posted was telling me that the harness for the right door and left door are both on backorder with no date from GM as to when they will be back in stock. Not sure how true that is or if it’s just them that don’t have them. It was these part numbers: RH door harness 84290982 LH door harness 84125561.

Also just one question. I see the part number for the left-hand/driver side mirror you posted is different than the one they gave me but the passenger side/right hand is the same. Is there reasoning for that? They gave me LH mirror 84041609.

I’m hitting the rack now is why I’m won’t post back tonight. I’ll check this thread first thing in the morning. Thanks Phil!!

• Like 1

Wow, I cannot thank you enough for posting all of that information!!! I feel like I’ve been digging for 2 weeks and just struck gold!!! Seriously.....thank you!! I just don’t have the time to do this project I’m so busy. I was just going to get everything and take it into the dealer and have them do it while I’m working.

Do you think they’ll install the harnesses you make or should I just buy the GM part number harnesses? That place that sent me that email that I posted was telling me that the harness for the right door and left door are both on backorder with no date from GM as to when they will be back in stock. Not sure how true that is or if it’s just them that don’t have them. It was these part numbers: RH door harness 84290982 LH door harness 84125561.

You’ll want to check with your dealer if they will only charge you labor for stuff you supply.

Also just one question. I see the part number for the left-hand/driver side mirror you posted is different than the one they gave me but the passenger side/right hand is the same. Is there reasoning for that? They gave me LH mirror 84041609.

84041609 is the previous part #. They get superseded all the time. All the same there.

I’m hitting the rack now is why I’m won’t post back tonight. I’ll check this thread first thing in the morning. Thanks Phil!!

Sure thing!

Responses inline.

Hey Phil.....read your response. The one thing I’m still not clear on..... if I don’t buy you harnesses but get the OEM GM harnesses, will I be ok? Or do I need to get yours?

You should be fine with those GM Harness part #s.

You should be fine with those GM Harness part #s.

Ok appreciate the quick response. Man I’m glad I found you! Thanks for taking your time to post and explain everything in such detail.

The last thing is......I guess I have to hope the dealer service department knows how to do this. Wonder if they have a manual or something they go by?

• Like 1

Ok appreciate the quick response. Man I’m glad I found you! Thanks for taking your time to post and explain everything in such detail.

The last thing is......I guess I have to hope the dealer service department knows how to do this. Wonder if they have a manual or something they go by?

For the door harness swap, no. Just swap them out. They should be able to handle this.

If you need to add the RZY Jumper Harness - Part # 2387133, they should have access to that manual. Print this out in case. Lol. Feel free to direct them to my videos too. Lol. They may not like that and take offense. Lol

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pz2y2o9kj02g66p/23387133%20-%20RZY%20Installation%20Instructions.pdf?dl=0