HIgh Desert Packge severe leaking proplen

I don't have much to update, the truck has the tsb finished and everything seems to be working fairly well. The only amount of significant moisture the truck has seen has been me washing it, but I have either seen no water enter or a few tiny drip towards the front or rear corners below the drains. 

The three new removable panels are definitely new, they weigh a lot more than the old ones, seem heavy duty. 

The rear v shaped seal I had mentioned I had damaged was replaced with a new one that appears to seal properly.

Overall at this point I am very happy I had them do this, hopefully it stays this way. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have had my HDP since December 2017 and now notice that water leaks into the cover panels and drips onto everything like condensation(Along with all the other leaking and into the side compartments).

Thank you for posting the status and the TSB's.  I will be contacting my dealer or another if needed to replace the covers and seals.  Hopefully it stays dryer or closer to my 2007 avalanche did for 10 years.

Thanks,

Edited by Thomas Deane

I can see why everyone is pissed.  I came from an 2nd Generation Escalade EXT and a first generation Avalanche North Face Edition, so I'm very familiar with the weather tight bed cover setup on those trucks.  Seeing this package, I'd assume GM just replicated the EXT/Avalanche setup...obviously not.

My Under Cover Ultra Flex doesn't leak nearly like being described here.  I actually have no leaks from the cover itself; mostly by the rear tailgate corners where there isn't a whole lot that can be done to prevent it.  I can easily keep cargo in the bed without worry of it being wet.

On 1/7/2019 at 2:11 PM, Thomas Deane said:

Well I have had my HDS since December 2017 and now notice that water leaks into the cover panels and drips onto everything like condensation(Along with all the other leaking and into the side compartments).

Thank you for posting the status and the TSB's.  I will be contacting my dealer or another if needed to replace the covers and seals.  Hopefully it stays dryer or closer to my 2007 avalanche did for 10 years.

Thanks,

Well I brought my truck to my original dealer handed them a printed copy of the TSB.  After I had been gone for about an hour I got a call and they said my truck qualified for the TSB to be applied.  Now they have to order parts and schedule the work.

I will keep the group updated as things progress.  (fingers Crossed)

Man this is a real bummer I feel for u guys. I cant believe the extra cost of this and the fact it was so poorly designed. My Sierra Denali came with a dealer installed bed cover thing and its never wet inside. Even here in Louisiana where it rains for days at a time. It crazy that GM will just kinda write off the very high trim level trucks which are pretty much all profit to dealers .

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 2:39 PM, Thomas Deane said:

Well I brought my truck to my original dealer handed them a printed copy of the TSB.  After I had been gone for about an hour I got a call and they said my truck qualified for the TSB to be applied.  Now they have to order parts and schedule the work.

I will keep the group updated as things progress.  (fingers Crossed)

I have my truck back from the dealer.  They went through and performed all TSB recommendations.  Now we'll see how well it works.  Went through a car wash right after getting it and so far so good.

• 1 month later...

I purchased a 2018 Chev with the desert package. The salesman told me that the cover would not leak. A day after i got the truck it rained and the truck bed was covered with water. I took it back and said they could not find a leak. The next time i took it back they gave me a paper that said the cover could leak. Again the 4th time i took it in for the leaks they told me to live with it. I spend over $60.000 for a truck that you can not use the bed because of water leaks. Again i went back and they told me that this was GM problem and not theirs. I tried to get them to take the Desert kit off and put me on a hard shell cover and they said i must be nuts. I will never go back to the Wezsel Chev dealer for any other Vehicle they want stand behind what they sell. The 2nd time i took it back for the leak problem after i got home one of the panels had been dropped on one corner and busted it i went back and was told that they did not drop it i asked them how did the corner get busted the said i must have done it. more bull for our Wezsel dealer in Richmond Ind. I know this want go to any one at GM but thanks for nothing. Jim Hankins

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Asking folks to remember as it’s been several years, but those that did complete the TSB were you satisfied on water management after that fix was completed? I love the look and want to try to salvage that if at all possible. However I don’t want to push a rope up the hill as well as dollars if the TSB was a flop too.

Anyone with feedback from years ago on this thread would be most helpful.