2007 8.1 Vortec

Just looking for some advice....I am looking at a 2007 8.1 Vortec with almost 135,000 miles. Having never owned one of these brutes before, I don't know what to look for when it comes to these.
Is the mileage excessive, as in am I looking at a rebuild/replacement within another 50,000...or will it continue for another 135 (if well taken care of)?

This is primarily for use as a tow vehicle (under 7000 lbs)...less than 10,000 miles/year.

Please don't tell me I should buy a diesel..........had one, hated it.

Thanks.

At less than 10k miles a year, how heavy a towing? I have a 24,000 mile 2007 Mint! 2500 HD 4x4 6.0 4L80e I can sell you. Cheaper parts, rock solid LS engine. 4:11 gears, but went up a tire size and now about 3.85 range which will help with MPG slightly if that matters. 8100 will be worse on mpg no matter what. I have had them all and went back and stuck with 6.0 trucks after diesel maint cost, 8100 parts cost and long term ownership cost. Wish 6.0 could have Allison tranny though, but 4L80e is great and solid. I looked at tons of trucks over 100k and said, nope. Only 50k or less for me.

Mine is a museum piece but would sell for right price [emoji41]

d0e08e2f844fccf95f425c821ebf2c52.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 8.1 is rock solid and will last forever if maintained.  They consume about 1 qt of oil/1-2k miles, this is normal for this generation bigblock.  They may break an exhaust stud from time to time, most people dont even notice, and the cam position sensor was problematic in the first couple years 2001-2002.  Mine has 170k on it and has been back and forth and up and down the united states and has never had an issue.

CarnutDallas...I appreciate the offer, but I am up in Canada and couldn't afford your truck, at least not with our dollarettes! 
I am more or less committed to the 8.1 because it's the only one that comes with the Allison. The one I'm looking at has the 6-speed, so it would be perfect.

Vucelick...Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear. This one is a 2007 so it "shouldn't" have the sensor issue.

vucelickvucelick

• Like 1