In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Service trailer brake system

Hey all,

I've had a reoccurring issue with my 2014 Silverado 1500 Z71 in regards the the trailer brakes. Now in the second year of owning the truck and I realize that this problem only happens when it is colder outside, 40F or below I would say. I'm getting the 'service trailer brake system' on my dash and the chime along with it. It will pop up and chime anywhere between 5 to 30 seconds and will continue to do it for several minutes. On longer drives, it may stop for several minutes then starts to prompt the warning again with the chime. Very annoying. I had it at Chevy last year when it started and they said there were no codes in the system and couldn't find anything.

I've read several threads about this issue but none specifically mentioned that it only happens when it is cold outside. I've made a list of things to check that include checking the fuse under the hood. Check voltage at one of the posts by the fuse box. Dielectric grease on the trailer brake module connectors. Check for breaks in the wiring. Check brake fluid and pressure switch.

What throws me off is that this only happens when it is cold. Can anybody help point me in the right direction here?

Thank you

My 2015 GMC HD had a similar situation with the same message popping up. I found mine to be to be the control module that is back by the gas tank for the trailer / trailer brakes. Also you may want to check your wiring harness plug male plug on your trailer if it has a clamp on it with a 7 pin connector there might be something corroded or loose in there, I found this to be one of my problems as well.

There is a very descriptive YouTube video on how to find and replace the trailer brake connection module. The unit itself on eBay was 20 something dollars

• Like 1

• 2 years later...