Upgrade brakes, suspension 1999 K1500

Hi all.  I'd like to upgrade my 1999 K1500 to accommodate a small slide-on camper.  The truck is the 1999 1/2 truck....shares much with the Sliverado, but has the 350 engine.  The camper is a touch under1000 lb.  I purchased some cheap, add-a-leafs a year ago.  The whole thing works, but its not ideal.  I have no illusions about making this a 3/4 ton truck, but I want to keep the truck if possible....body is good, and its got only 100k miles.

1. What's the best way to upgrade the suspension?  On a previous truck I just added a leaf spring and that worked well, but I'm open to suggestions.

2.  Brakes....What is the best, most cost effective way to upgrade the brakes, front and back?  I've seen videos about using K3500 calipers and K2500 master     cylinder, but I'd like some other opinions.   

Thanks,

Trail

• 3 weeks later...

It all depends on how much you will be towing/hauling. If it's once in a while then I would just get all new stock brakes. If you tow haul a lot then you could swap to bigger calipers. 

I would personally either get new rear leafs or return to stock and add airbags. (I got bags and love them} 

For brakes, if you got drums on the rear, it's always an option to swap them to disk. I've seen kits for $200-$400.

Like you said, you can always swap in 2500/3500 brakes.