Scan tool needed to rest dash lights?

medik13

Question

I am getting service stabilitrak and traction control messages with abs light on the dash. I found that the exhaust manifold had burnt through the speed sensor harness. I cut and spliced the wire and it is still showing the lights on the dash. Do I need to clear with scan tool? I thought stabilitrak was one of the messages that clear on their own once repair is made... thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by medik13

15 answers to this question

It may take either a long drive, or a couple to several key cycles (not just on/off, but on, engine warmed to operating temperature, off, cooled to ambient - in other words, driven for a few days) to get the code to clear. Scan tool is the fastest way. A chain auto parts store might be able to clear the code for you for free.

• Like 1

I grabbed an wireless reader that plugs into the aldl port under the dash and then download Torque software. I use the Torque app to clear most codes.  There are occasional times it won't clear the codes right away, but they will clear after a couple of startups.  I don't know the reason?  The reader you need to buy online is an ELM327 protocol tool.  They are readily available. 

• Like 1

Awesome. Thank you guys!

Edit: Wait a minute. Can the auto cal I purchased from blackbear clear the code?

I plugged in the auto cal, turned the ignition to “on”, scrolled down to “clear DTC”, pressed enter, and still have the warning message.

Pressed “show DTC’s” and it says no codes to show. I don’t know if I am doing it right. I guess I’ll have to wait on the scan tool.

Received the scanner and it doesn’t reset anything. First off, it shows that there are no codes so the warning lights are still on. I read that the dealer is the only one who can reset light unless a check engine light is also on then the scan tool can do it. Wtf???

That's BS - any garage can reset ANY light that's on with a high end bi-directional scan tool.

What warning lights do you have on? ABS?

That's BS - any garage can reset ANY light that's on with a high end bi-directional scan tool.

What warning lights do you have on? ABS?

Yeah. I meant to add a garage or dealer.

The traction control and abs light. The DIC shows service stabilitrak and traction control.

Crap, I should've asked you that prior.  No scan tool in that price point can do ABS, or get into the BCM, or any other module besides the engine computer. I'm not up on all the new tools that are out today, but Autel is one of the best for the money. You might have to try and sell that one you have and buy one with ABS (and more) capability, or have a local garage reset it for you. Just be aware, if something is wrong in the ABS system, the light will come right back on until the problem is repaired.

This is what I hate about the auto industry today. Everything is designed to either completely discourage you from repairing your own vehicle, or to extort every last dollar you have to make a repair.. 

Edited by Jsdirt

No worries man. I’ll get it done. I will return the cheap one and look into purchasing something else or just pony up and go to a repair shop that can just reset it for me. As I said in my first post, the speed sensor harness got burned through by the exhaust manifold. It has since been repaired. Thanks for your help.

Ahh, yeah that's right. That shouldn't set an ABS light, but maybe the missing VSS signal created a fault in the traction control system, which then set the ABS light by default. I'm not sure there.

I would return that scan tool and just drive the vehicle for a month or so before doing anything else - it may reset on it's own. Then, you can buy a much more capable scan tool to have on hand for any other problems down the road.

EDIT: I don't know where my brain is tonight, but the stability control system (which is part of the ABS system) needs a speed input in order to work. Explains the light.  I would still drive it for a month or so, and see if it resets. If you do alot of miles per week, it should reset in a few days.

Edited by Jsdirt

I’ll follow your advice and give it a month. Only problem is I drive the truck once a week. Anyway, if you get a chance can you give me a link to a more capable scan tool? I really appreciate all the help!

Edit: screw it... I’ll just drive it to work the rest of the week. Let’s see.

Here's one that'll work for your truck, but won't work on anything  past '13. Will do ABS, though. You'll have to read the details - I just did a quick search.

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-AL619-Autolink-Automotive-Diagnostic/dp/B0091DJWV0