Autostop on a hill Warning

Today I was pulling out of a plaza that has a steep incline at the stop light. Its one of those where its enough of a hill you just barely have to touch the brake because the idle speed in drive is enough to keep the truck from rolling backwards.

So I pulled up in the 19 and came to a stop on the hill waiting for the light. My foot was barely applying any pressure to the brake as mentioned the idle speed held the truck. I had just enough pressure on the brake that the Autostop killed the engine and the normal idle torque. Since my foot was barely on the brake, I didn't even realize but I started rolling backwards a few feet before I noticed what was happening and applied the brake firmly to stop me from rolling into the car behind me.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is watch out for that autostop when you are on a steep incline. I thought these trucks had the hill holder but apparently not this one or it just didn't kick in.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I've driven too many cars that had the feature where it supposedly would stay on an incline but they don't work all the time.

With or without that feature, I just assume it does not and have my foot on both the gas and the brake. I just had to do it a few days ago on my new Silverado which has that feature, it rolled back a little.

From my experience in a 2012 and a 2018, when on a hill, the trick to get the hill assist stuff to work is to push the brake pedal all the way down to the floor, then it will hold. I believe the 2019's will hold for as long as needed, but I haven't had a chance to test drive one yet.