Replace Converter or whole Transmission??

Well - the verdict is in.  After trying to replace the TCC Solenoid in my transmission to try and solve an Overdrive slippage/non-lock up issue with no change, I had the transmission tech guys come along for a drive with their Tech Scanner...and he's 99.9% that the OD clutch plates have simply run their course.  Everything he could view was signalling that the right messages/proper pressure/etc. are being sent and that the transmission is trying everything it can to lock up the converter in OD - but not happening.  He also said that it's typically what he's seen and that they may not show any symptoms or slowly have this happen...they just eventually fail which is why it's not locking up on the highway and throwing codes (P0894).

SO - - - I'd love to hear a few opinions on whether or not to replace just the converter (approx. $1-1,200 with labor), or if I should replace the whole transmission as I can get a rebuilt with warranty ($23-2,500 with labor) since all the other tranny components also have 270,000km of wear and tear.  It seems that the converter is typically what fails as it is continually slipping and locking/etc., and there was nearly nothing for debris in the pan or on the magnet and the fluid looked like new so aside from this slippage issue occurring, before that the tranny worked perfectly.  It has not been driven long since this started to happen.

Saving over $1000 would be really great right now - but having to turn around and spend the $2500 again within a year because of some other failure is not.  So just wondering if guys have done just the converter with good/fair results with the 4L80e or if they've had the rest of the tranny grenade within 20,000km afterward???

You Must get the valvebody rebuilt. Most rebuilds they put in new shift solenoids, but the valve body needs to be rebuilt and the bores for the shift solenoids sleeved etc. Also you should get a new sonnax boost valve for the pump.

What I do is buy a reman valvebody, but a sonnax boost valve and the rebuild kit with GOOD parts in it, like red eagle.

take those toi a local well known rebuilder and have them all installed. Get a new converter. \

If you can get it oyt with some help from a friend, thats what I would do.

Its a common problem that the TCC pistons crack in the 4l80 transmissions, at least on the later ones. If your mechanic has confirmed as such, you could be alright with just the TC replacement. However, the valve bodies have issues with high mileage wear as well, as mentioned above. It's kind of up to you how much money you want to spend for piece of mind vs. how long you plan on keeping/ driving the truck.