Undercover Flex Fading

Hey guys,

New here. Just bought a 2017 Z71 Crew Cab a couple weeks ago. It has an Undercover Flex tonneau that has faded pretty badly to the point you can see some of the fiberglass under the black surface coating. I called Undercover and their warranty doesn’t apply to 2nd or subsequent owners, which is understandable. They also didn’t have a recommendation for painting or re-coating “since they’re not painted to begin with”.

He said I could use back to black to restore the cover, but I’m not sure this is a permanent solution.

My question to you all is what would you do to restore the cover’s color? Fiberglass being uncoated is very susceptible to UV deterioration.

My plan is to use 303 Aerospace protectant once I get the surface back to a uniform black color.

d572e679e0b6c4ec74664a7877b0b450.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Thanks to both of you for the info. I’m sure it could be re-painted and that may be the best option. I’m going to get a spray in bedliner soon, so it might make the most sense to have them coat the panels at that time.

• 2 weeks later...

So I spoke with a bedliner company and they said that their product won’t stick well to plastic. Turns out, the cover is made of FRP (fiber reinforced plastic). The same panels you see in bathrooms. I called Undercover back and he assured me that they “coat” with automotive paints on their products. Therefore, that was his recommendation.

On another note, they sent me a side release buckle set free of charge to replace the broken one I have.