changing tire size

hebedog19

Question

ey guys,  picking my brand new silverado 1500 this afternoon and cant wait! I'm currently running 265/70/r17 which is stock on the WT model.   I found a brand new pair on from another 2019 silverado RST model for a great deal that is 265/65/18.  seems very minor to me but will this affect my truck, void my warranty etc.....   i have the 3.42 rear axle and i believe the RST is 3.23.  only real major difference i can see.

thanks

12 answers to this question

They're both nearly the same.

The 17" is 31.61" in diameter, while the 18" is 31.56" in diameter - or .14% smaller.

Below 1% is acceptable, and you're well within that range.

Are you changing just the two wheels and tires?  You going for an odd look with two different wheels on the truck?  18s on the rear with stock 17 inch wheels on the front.  Is this truck 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive?

Edited by Doug_Scott
pressed submit by mistake

On 7/18/2019 at 3:01 PM, Jsdirt said:

They're both nearly the same.

The 17" is 31.61" in diameter, while the 18" is 31.56" in diameter - or .14% smaller.

Below 1% is acceptable, and you're well within that range.

Might be clearer if you used 0.14%, smaller  instead of the .14% smaller.   You could probably make them equal again by running 0.14% more air in the 18" tire.

24 minutes ago, Doug_Scott said:

Might be clearer if you used 0.14%, smaller  instead of the .14% smaller.   You could probably make them equal again by running 0.14% more air in the 18" tire.

Ahh, didn't see your zero there - I was trying to figure out WTF you were trying to say! :lol:

Edited by Jsdirt
F'ed-up

34 minutes ago, hebedog19 said:

Yeah sorry not a pair but all four tires.  Sensors in them already.  Am I going to need to reset my sensors once I take the brand new ones off for the the other brand news ones??

If you are swapping wheels and tires you will need to sync the sensors every time you swap the wheels and tires.  The sensors do not connect on their own.  I bought one of those tools that syncs the sensors up about 8 or 9 years ago for something like $50.  Should have bought a bunch of them to sell now.

4 hours ago, hebedog19 said:

Yeah sorry not a pair but all four tires.  Sensors in them already.  Am I going to need to reset my sensors once I take the brand new ones off for the the other brand news ones??

Won't need to do anything if just swapping tires, aside from position (if that concerns you). I never bothered on mine, since I think the system is a total joke. Different strokes for different folks, as they say. If you got a low tire warning, regardless of what tire the system tells you is low, a visual, or ACTUAL pressure check will confirm the low tire.

If you're replacing sensors with brand new ones, they will need to be programmed to the truck in order to work. That's what keeps your system from reading the guy's tires next to you on the highway.

Yeah so I’m getting rims wheels and sensors Off another 2019 Silverado.  There an upgrade from my steel wheels.   Sounds like I’m gonna to reset but I see your point.  I went with WT model and upgraded the things I want.  Probably the only with truck with leather seats I’m guessing!