AC Issues

I'm aware of the condenser and evaporator issues that these trucks have. However, I believe I'm having a different issue in my truck (2014 5.3 LTZ). In the mornings the ac works fine, its cold and i use it on minimum fan speed. But starting a couple of days ago, in the afternoons (~100F), the air coming out of the vents is warm and the cabin dosen't cool down. Any idea what may be causing this?

I already checked the cabin filter and the ac compressor is kicking in (so i assume its not a freon issue). So not sure what else to check. Any advice/help is appreciated.

My 14 Sierra does the same thing on occasion. Hit and miss. Checked freon and its full. Lots of quirks and cheap engineering designs in these expensive trucks and there shouldn't be for what they are charging for them new. Now I am just waiting for the condenser or compressor to fail. Or the compressor to condenser line to fail. or the terrible designed vacuum pump. Shall I go on?  Just saying.

• Like 1

Hopefully they fixed these design issues on the new trucks. Been thinking about upgrading to a 2019 but GM keeps trying to save $$$ with cheap design/engineering.

There shouldn't be a need to disassemble the entire front end to change the condenser. Just poor design/engineering and we end up paying for it. In my case, it will cost me over 1k to fix it. And just to think that my extended warranty expired 3 months ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TxSilver said:

Hopefully they fixed these design issues on the new trucks. Been thinking about upgrading to a 2019 but GM keeps trying to save $$$ with cheap design/engineering.

There shouldn't be a need to disassemble the entire front end to change the condenser. Just poor design/engineering and we end up paying for it. In my case, it will cost me over 1k to fix it. And just to think that my extended warranty expired 3 months ago.

You can buy a aftermarket condenser which is probably better than the GM supplied one for a little over $100. Invest a couple hours doing it yourself. Plenty of Youtube videos on replacing it with pretty common tools. Just have to have it recharged by a shop when you are done. Shouldn't be anywhere close to $1000.00 if you can do it yourself. I know many people with cars and trucks way over 15 years old and the a/c still works and has never had an issue. GM definitely is going downhill. If they want repeat customers, this is not the way to get them for sure.

1 hour ago, TxSilver said:

You should look at the picture of the poor guy who had his evap go out on his 2019, his entire front dash had to be ripped out.  So no, i would say gm is still using the same shit equipment they did in our model line.