Ignition on 2000 7.3 L Continuing Problem

I'm probably posting in the wrong sub-foum, sorry. I have a 2000 7.4l in a c7500 dump truck that has been giving me fits with electrical problems for years. I would like to install a HEI distributor and eliminate the electronic ignition system. Can a distributor be installed in this engine? I'm also going to put a carb on it also. Any help from the "experts" would be appreciated. I have no experience with BB Chevs.

Distributor needs a mechanical connection to drive shaft or cam shaft. The block and heads do not have such.

So yes, you need to fix the primary problem. Given that it is a dump truck, it's probably got a ground or main battery cable problem. Try cleaning the ground points.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just looking for options. This truck spent 6 weeks at the local GM dealer. They replaced the wiring harness, computer, and many sensors at the cost of $2600 and the problem still exists. They quit and still charged me for the whole time they spent on it.

Most of the time it won't start at all, there-by being useless. A HEI distributor runs about $60 on ebay. A carb runs about $150. If this would work, I see an obvious advantage to it. For less than $500, I could have a usable dump truck again.

I would say that these items would have to be changed. Intake manifold, Carburetor, Distributer, timing chain cover, some wiring changes will need to be done and fuel regulator along with keeping the PCM to run truck gauges etc.

Please give us more info on how & when it quits. Also HEI is electronic ign. I think your going in the wrong direction , have all grounds been cleaned (bright) and dielectric silicone put on joints? has the ign. switch been replaced? has the  neutral safety switch been checked out or replaced? 

Do you have a service manual fo your particular truck? not a Hynes but a GM service manual and are there any codes?