Has anyone added a second set of crew cab steps?

I am trying to get a lower set of running boards to make it easier to get in passenger door of the truck.

I know a lot of people like to raise the trucks but we have used the 2" shackle lowering blocks and that didn't help much.

Picked up some running boards and am planning on putting them under and just partially  outside the original steps so each step is not so high.

Gonna try to get the top of the bottom step at 7"-8" of the ground.

Just curious if anyone had done this.

Thanks.

Edited by Sunshine39
corrected spelling

• 2 weeks later...

Check out the AMP research steps. Power folding. Had them on my last truck. They’re amazing and drop quite a bit lower than stock running boards. They even have an extension to go lower. I would think the standard height would be plenty as you dropped your truck 2” already.

I lifted my old truck 6” and put 35” tires on. This brought the truck up about 8” from stock height and the AMP steps put the step about where the running boards were before. Loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cNate said:

Check out the AMP research steps. Power folding. Had them on my last truck. They’re amazing and drop quite a bit lower than stock running boards. They even have an extension to go lower. I would think the standard height would be plenty as you dropped your truck 2” already.

I lifted my old truck 6” and put 35” tires on. This brought the truck up about 8” from stock height and the AMP steps put the step about where the running boards were before. Loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks cNate,

I'll check them out. In the mean time I have just about finished up a pair of running boards that go under the original. I would like the power type even if have to add second set because going down the road they would be higher. We will see how these work when finished then make a decision on the power ones.

If I used power ones with second step they would have to connect to the power step so they could go down and out at the same time.

We don't go off road so speed bumps and curbs may be an issue with these. 

My wife has bad knees and has a hard time making large steps.

Thanks for your suggestions...Sonny

On 10/25/2019 at 9:41 AM, Sunshine39 said:

Thanks cNate,

I'll check them out. In the mean time I have just about finished up a pair of running boards that go under the original. I would like the power type even if have to add second set because going down the road they would be higher. We will see how these work when finished then make a decision on the power ones.

If I used power ones with second step they would have to connect to the power step so they could go down and out at the same time.

We don't go off road so speed bumps and curbs may be an issue with these. 

My wife has bad knees and has a hard time making large steps.

Thanks for your suggestions...Sonny

I just carry around a kitchen step stool for my passenger with bad knees. 

Often need to help them in and out anyway, so using the stool isn't much more work.

• Like 1

We use a plastic folding step stool from Dollar General, it is light and folds us so if we have a load of people or stuff its not hard to fit it into the back floorboard.  We've been using this for about 5 years not on both my 11 and 19 trucks.  I sometimes get funny looks when I open the door and put it on the ground but as soon as they see my wife step up on it and then to the step bar and then into the truck most will say "That's a great idea".  :jester:

When my grandma was still alive I'd run around to the passenger side and put a step thingie down so she could get in or out. My father also had trouble stepping up plus he didn't like how he couldn't get get a full purchase on the running boards with his boots on, wanted more than just toes on it. He made drop blocks for the running boards. Dropped them 2-4" and he made them stick out a few inches as well. It looked odd but it worked for him. Did this to our 2007 2500HD and the 2009 dually. I removed them last year if I find the setup he made ill post a picture. Might have a picture with the running boards setup like that too. Made getting into the truck box a lot easier though, I somewhat miss the running boards being that way.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. I decided to make a dropped set and they work out great for my wife. Only concern I have is I may have to raise them a couple of inches as the bottom of the running board is 5" from the ground and some of the curbs I have measured are around 6" and with the long wheel base getting into some of the small Dr's office parking lots may be a challenge missing the curb.

I think a better solution would be an electric drop down top running board as was suggested earlier with the second set mounted under them.

We don't go off-roading so the city streets and campgrounds will be our biggest challenge. 

Running Boards.JPG