Exhaust smell in cab!!!

Hi All,

Its been getting a little cooler in the northeast during the morning which has required a bit of defrost/heat. With defrost on, and cabin re circulation on i get a periodic exhaust smell in the cab. This also happens when the truck is in regen but its the burned crayon type of smell when its in a regen cycle. I cant imagine that this is considered "normal" (cant imagine it would be, but weirder things have happened). Im due to go to the dealer for my last oil change and i will bring this up with them, but wanted to ask if any of you guys have experienced this and can shed some lite on what the fix is, or may be.

Thanks!

It's not normal.

You have a leak in the exhaust or a fuel leak that is smoking from a hot surface. 

You didn't indicate year of truck (other than the section it's posted in) but there were a bunch if issues/updates regarding the issue on earlier LML's. Symptoms exactly like you are describing.

What is 'normal' (or at least common) is some burnoff from the exhaust during the first few regens on a new truck. 

38 minutes ago, redwngr said:

It's not normal.

You have a leak in the exhaust or a fuel leak that is smoking from a hot surface. 

You didn't indicate year of truck (other than the section it's posted in) but there were a bunch if issues/updates regarding the issue on earlier LML's. Symptoms exactly like you are describing.

What is 'normal' (or at least common) is some burnoff from the exhaust during the first few regens on a new truck. 

My fault - 2019, 2500HD L5P

38 minutes ago, redwngr said:

1 hour ago, Dirty5P said:

My fault - 2019, 2500HD L5P

When it did it's first regen, my '18 smelled like a tired old gasser leaking engine oil onto a hot exhaust .  I happened in 30mph town traffic and not suspecting the truck, I was looking around trying to figure out what vehicle had the oil leak/smoke/smell. When I parked, there was some smoke visible rising out grill. 

It was it's first regen and was the only time this L5P has had a regen that was noticeable by smell or visible smoke. (sneaking up on 25,000 miles now). 

IMHO, if you've got a couple thousand or miles on it and you are smelling it, it is in need of repair.

1 hour ago, redwngr said:

When it did it's first regen, my '18 smelled like a tired old gasser leaking engine oil onto a hot exhaust .  I happened in 30mph town traffic and not suspecting the truck, I was looking around trying to figure out what vehicle had the oil leak/smoke/smell. When I parked, there was some smoke visible rising out grill. 

It was it's first regen and was the only time this L5P has had a regen that was noticeable by smell or visible smoke. (sneaking up on 25,000 miles now). 

IMHO, if you've got a couple thousand or miles on it and you are smelling it, it is in need of repair.

Thanks for your input. I have 12k on the truck. Every time it regens i get the burned crayon type smell. I'll bring everything up with the dealer so its on record.

three of my buddies have the same truck and same in the cab, its normal. I have a good buddy that runs the service department at a local dealer and people have complained of this, still way better than some of my old diesels.

Edited by doosierra

New member with a 2019, 2500HD, L5P. It has less than 500 miles on it. My first Diesel. I pull into parking lot this morning and smelled something nasty. I parked it and turned on interior lights and smoke was visible inside. Gauges where OK and no dash lights on? Would that be a regen cycle? i am very concerned and may try and go to a dealership near work?

Thanks in advance.

B

So I ran the truck at lunch until it got up to temp. It’s smoking under the hood Behind the motor. I took a short video, but can’t seem to download it. Could be nothing? IDK?

Butcher2

On 10/28/2019 at 7:33 PM, doosierra said:

three of my buddies have the same truck and same in the cab, its normal. I have a good buddy that runs the service department at a local dealer and people have complained of this, still way better than some of my old diesels.

Normal for the first regen or two.

Not normal later in the trucks life.

4 hours ago, redwngr said:

Normal for the first regen or two.

Not normal later in the trucks lifeSo

Thanks fellas ? this is my first diesel and I would like it to be my last ?

everything seems to be okay with the truck now. I put 350 miles on it today without any issues at all (900 total). This is the Cadillac of trucks. Very happy with this truck.

Butcher2