2019 GMC Yukon Rain Sense Automatic Wipers Not Working

I've had my 2019 GMC Yukon SLT just shy of three weeks and finally realized that rain sense is not working.  I took it through a car wash earlier in the day today and forgot to switch rain sense off, but didn't realize it until hours later when it was raining this evening and rain sense was doing nothing.  Then I realized that it didn't work in the car wash, even though I forgot to turn it off as the manual suggests.

I do know that my lane keep assist is functional for some roads at least, and will gently steer me back into my lane if I drift on to the lane markings.  My automatic high-beam headlights are also functional, as is the green or yellow light on the dash for collision avoidance and keeping proper distance from vehicles in front of me.  Lastly, the front and rear parking sensors are fully functional, as is the rear cross traffic alert when reversing.  So, everything else seems to be functional as far as I am aware.

I do NOT know if the low speed collision avoidance system works, as this is not something that I wanted to test out.  I understand that I have set the system to beep (I selected the audible alert versus the seat vibrations in the menu) as well as apply the brakes simultaneously.

I also know that my vehicle does NOT have high speed collision avoidance, but I am not sure if I have adaptive cruise control or not?  This is not a feature that I have tested either.

Is there anything in particular I should look at in regards to the rain sensing automatic wiper system?  I do know how to turn it on, and have "rain sense on" correctly displaying on the dash when I do.  Yet it doesn't activate the windshield wipers even with the car wash is dousing the windshield.

Edited by BlaineBug

1 minute ago, AirForceAngler said:

Where do you have the Intermittent adjustment at?  This is used to adjust the sensitivity of the Rainsense.  Try setting it more sensitive and see how that works.

I have tried the sensitivity's adjustment all across its range.  I also tried pouring a 2 quart water pitcher directly over the rain sensor while in PARK and also while in DRIVE with the parking brake set.  Nothing.

I do realize that according to the manual, rain sense does disable itself while in neutral and going very slowly or stopped, to help prevent damage while in car washes.  However, my other tests should have resulted in activity.  I also checked the 10 amp fuse for rainsense and it was ok.

I do have a dealer appointment on the 8th so we'll see what they say about it.  It definitely isn't functional.

• 2 weeks later...

Earlier today it was finally time for my appointment at the dealer to evaluate this problem.  They were able to "confirm" my symptom and indicated that they found the rain sensor to be internally shorted.  Therefore, they ordered another rain sensor and it should be there by early next week.

So, I had to have my vehicle towed in for other issues, which I created a separate thread for.  But I am happy to report that the rain sensor was replaced at the same time.  The dealership said they tested it and verified that it works now.  It will be interesting to see it function during our next rain or snow event.

I do have to say that the rain sensor is pretty neat.  In a light mist it was especially handy as the frequency of the wipes was totally automatic.  All I had to do was initially set the sensitivity to find an acceptable balance between water on the windshield and how often it reacted.  Although there was one time where the windshield was exceptionally dry, and the wipers briefly went in to the highest speed.  Not sure why that was.