2020 GMC AT4 - Won't start, won't even attempt to turn over

I have had the exact same problem on my 2020 - 2500HD AT4. My truck had an SCA 3.5" lift kit on it with 35" tires. SCA installed a speedometer calibration device in the truck for bigger tires. The local Chevy dealer found a GM Tech Tip that attributed the behavior to the calibration device. At first, I did not believe them; however, SCA immediately confirmed that they had recalled the original module and they overnight shipped me a replacement module. It immediately fixed the issue.  I will post if the issue comes back.

The GM bulletin is #pit5752B Sept 14, 2021.

• 1 year later...

I’m curious if you guys have had any issues since having your ECM’s replaced?  I have had four no crank no start issues in the last few months on my 22 3500 Duramax.  My dealer here keeps telling me there isn’t anything wrong since there are no codes.  They then said it was my banks iDash gauge, but it happened again after leaving it unplugged.  Because they can’t replicate the issue they’re not doing any problem solving.  I have GM involved now, but I would love to help point them in a direction if possible.

- First no crank/no start I got out of the vehicle, locked it, got back in, started up.  Chalked up to an electrical gremlin.  

- Second no crank/no start tow truck was on the way and they asked if I could put it in neutral.  When I did the truck rolled forward and I heard a click.  At that point I started it up in neutral.

- Third no crank/no start, truck was coming out of the tunnel in the Carwash, guys at the wash pushed me forward in neutral a few feet and I started it right up.

- Fourth no crank/no start, could not get it to start after rolling it out of my garage, into the street for the tow truck.  Of course it started right up at the dealer.

- I did have a bad negative cable and battery with lots of sulfation.  The dealer believed this caused a few modules to need replacement as well, specifically related to the nav, onstar, mic, and one other I can’t remember.  I’m guessing when the trucks sat in flint waiting on a part for 6 months in -20 degree cold they went completely bad.  I doubt they pulled all of them from these trucks, but I could be wrong. 

The only thing I’ve noticed is when trying to remote start it during these situations I saw, “service steering column lock.” On the DIC from outside the vehicle.  I had never noticed it when remote starting before.  No error codes or messages being displayed when the truck turns on.  

Here is a video of a typical no crank/no start situation I’m experiencing:

I've had the same issue with my 2020 2500 Silverado.  No start, but everything else is working.  I also would get service trailer brake messages.  My delaer keeps replacing the Transmission Control Module and this seems to work for a while.  The longest I have made it without having one of these issues is about 7 months.

On 4/1/2023 at 8:24 AM, Chris Wyatt said:

I've had the same issue with my 2020 2500 Silverado.  No start, but everything else is working.  I also would get service trailer brake messages.  My delaer keeps replacing the Transmission Control Module and this seems to work for a while.  The longest I have made it without having one of these issues is about 7 months.

Wow that is horrible.  I think if they can’t figure this out I’m going to pursue a buy back or trade-in assistance.  Having a $85k truck that might not start randomly is not okay.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2023 at 9:49 AM, Campingfamco said:

I’m curious if you guys have had any issues since having your ECM’s replaced?  I have had four no crank no start issues in the last few months on my 22 3500 Duramax.  My dealer here keeps telling me there isn’t anything wrong since there are no codes.  They then said it was my banks iDash gauge, but it happened again after leaving it unplugged.  Because they can’t replicate the issue they’re not doing any problem solving.  I have GM involved now, but I would love to help point them in a direction if possible.

- First no crank/no start I got out of the vehicle, locked it, got back in, started up.  Chalked up to an electrical gremlin.  

- Second no crank/no start tow truck was on the way and they asked if I could put it in neutral.  When I did the truck rolled forward and I heard a click.  At that point I started it up in neutral.

- Third no crank/no start, truck was coming out of the tunnel in the Carwash, guys at the wash pushed me forward in neutral a few feet and I started it right up.

- Fourth no crank/no start, could not get it to start after rolling it out of my garage, into the street for the tow truck.  Of course it started right up at the dealer.

- I did have a bad negative cable and battery with lots of sulfation.  The dealer believed this caused a few modules to need replacement as well, specifically related to the nav, onstar, mic, and one other I can’t remember.  I’m guessing when the trucks sat in flint waiting on a part for 6 months in -20 degree cold they went completely bad.  I doubt they pulled all of them from these trucks, but I could be wrong. 

The only thing I’ve noticed is when trying to remote start it during these situations I saw, “service steering column lock.” On the DIC from outside the vehicle.  I had never noticed it when remote starting before.  No error codes or messages being displayed when the truck turns on.  

This is certainly not what we like to hear, Campingfamco.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your truck. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: Campingfamco/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

On 4/1/2023 at 10:24 AM, Chris Wyatt said:

This is certainly not what we like to hear, Chris Wyatt.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 2500. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: Chris Wyatt/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

• 1 year later...
On 4/1/2023 at 8:49 AM, Campingfamco said:

This is exactly what my truck, 2020 2500 Duramax high country, does except for the service steering lock message.  Next time it happens I am going to try and remote start it to see if I get that message.

My dealership told me my batteries were bad so I paid for new ones and the issue has come back. I spent $1000 for troubleshooting and battery replacement only to have the problem intermittently occur.

Their solution was “you’ve got to get the truck to go to sleep and to do that you need to open all the doors and hood and leave them open for 20 minutes.” First of all I shouldn’t have to perform a magic ritual like I’m at Hogwarts to get my truck to start, but second this is not effective.

One time recently I got telematics code B101D and U18B4 codes.  Another time I got a transfer case communication code don’t remember what it was.  Other times I’ve charged the batteries and then it’s worked.  My batteries shouldn’t draw down after I park the truck after lunch until the end of the day.

When it is in this condition I notice when I put my foot on the brake to start it the speedometer needle flickers a bit for about 2 seconds.  Also after it fails to start I get a high pitched noise coming from the passenger side of the engine compartment.

My dealer is no help because the problem is not readily reproduced.  

GM needs to look into this because too many people are having this problem.  My wife wants me to trade in the truck and go to a different brand because it is going to leave us stranded and I will never hear the end of it.

If a solution is found let me know.