front USB will not recognize USB 2&3 flash drives

The front USB port will not read USB 2 and USB 3 flash drives.  I can get it to read standard USB flash drives I have even formatted the USB 2&3 drives FAT32, all files are MP3 and will play on the original USB drive it even recognizes some  a few .WMA files on that drive.  It seems rather odd that GM would produce something that will not read USB 2 or 3 memory sticks while reading the original USB drive.  My older GMC would read all the drives!  Anyone run into this problem!  All  USB 2 & 3 drives are different manufacturers and work just fine on other devices I have!

3 hours ago, Wally Nussbaumer said:

The front USB port will not read USB 2 and USB 3 flash drives.  I can get it to read standard USB flash drives I have even formatted the USB 2&3 drives FAT32, all files are MP3 and will play on the original USB drive it even recognizes some  a few .WMA files on that drive.  It seems rather odd that GM would produce something that will not read USB 2 or 3 memory sticks while reading the original USB drive.  My older GMC would read all the drives!  Anyone run into this problem!  All  USB 2 & 3 drives are different manufacturers and work just fine on other devices I have!

I have the exact same problem.  Dealership says all the USB ports "test fine".

But you've got me thinking.... Will try formatting a thumb drive all the different ways and see if that works.

I had a conversation with the dealer today, who in turn contacted GM re the problem.  Apparently they admit there is a problem with the USB port located in the dash where it will not read  the files from USB 2 & 3 memory sticks.  They are working on the problem and will rectify when they get a solution. I guess till then it is wait and see!  Someone in their design department dropped the ball on this, especially sinceIt is unlikely that you will find any USB 1.0 pen drives in the market today. Annoys me that when we lay out a substantial  amount of money for a vehicle be it GM or another major manufacturer they let things like this pass final inspection!

Edited by Wally Nussbaumer
added information