What oil for 2020 6.2

Just looking for different thought, oil cap says 0w20, I'm not a fan of 0w oil, old school I guess , thinking about  going to 5w30 Mobil 1,at a thousand  miles,, change it every 5k ,,its 6.2 max tow , I pull my boat , 19ft lund pro v  , thoughts please

0w-20 has been proven.  Look at all the GM trucks on the road now every since it was brought out on the 2014 and up models.  If there was an issue running it you would see it online everywhere.

Case in point.  I have a 2002 Silverado with the 5.3.  It is spec'ed for 5w-30.  I decided to switch it out to 0w-20 at around 169k miles.  Ran it for 8k miles and then switched over to 5w-20 for another 8k miles and  I'm now at 195k miles and it is running just fine.   I also pull a 4klbs 8' x 20' box trailer a few times a month. I switched to see if my economy would change and it didn't.

Will using 5w-30 hurt anything?  Probably not and if something did happen the warranty could be in question since the would test at a 30w and not a 20w as per the owners manual recommendations.

You could get two gallons of AMSOIL's OE 0w-20 for $51.10 plus tax and shipping of course.  It would be about a 25% less as a preferred customer.

If you are interested PM me your address and I can get you a quote delivered.

2 hours ago, txab said:

Probably all of the above...........

Okay I can work with that. 

0W ANYTHING all starts with the same SAE viscosity grade base. 0W20, 0W30 and 0W40 differ only in the viscosity improvers molecular weight. At the same operating temperatures their viscosity is only slightly different. A few centistokes. 9 cSt typical for a 20W and 11 cSt for a 30 W at 100 C. It is possible that the film thickness be higher for the 20W than the 30W IF the base oils being compared are say a Mineral Oil VS a NGP Ester. They have different densities. The ester providing the thicker film at the same temperature. Ergo, don't worry. GM has it figured out. Can you run a 5W30 without issues? Yes. That covers both base oil and SAE Viscosity grade.

Brand, hum. Well the DEXOS 1 Gen @ physical and additive specification are pretty specific for EVERYTHING that can be measured. A max for this and a min for that. What can change is the blenders choice of additive. I.E. some like moly for an EP additive and some prefer Boron. Tomato, tomato. And their choice of base oils. Group III/PAO or PAO/Ester. The latter providing more thermal stability than the former. Heavy towing, or extended OCI guys might like an PAO/Ester. Daily drivers and light duty can use anything with the D1G2 license on the bottle and get great results. There is that little difference in effectiveness of chemistry if the base oil is the same. Cleanliness however...well those differences are great. 

Yea, there just isn't that much difference in those of like base oil anymore to make a real difference in anyone's life. What can make a HUGE difference is cleanliness. You have five levers on this.

1.  In the bottle cleanliness.
  2.  Filter choice.
  3.  Choice of OCI length.
  4.  Oil change procedure.
  5.  Operating conditions.

Keep it clean. Keep it cool. Keep it changed.  

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1